2017 Programs & Playlist:

Just now, corpsband said:

No sense of humor  :silly:

You're right. I have no sense of humor. So stop trying to tell jokes. :guinesssmilie:

33 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Is it really licensing?  I say this logic is not accurate.

If you as a corps announce you are going to play X show music....but haven't actually played it...what agreement/copyright/license have you actually broken?  none imo...you can always later say...sorry but due to licensing restrictions we are now doing Y show and playing Z...

Technically you can't begin arranging until permission is granted, so it's very much an issue. Not to mention that it can take up to 6 months to get all permission granted, and announcing before that could and has caused groups to be denied permission, as well as threat of legal action.

Furthermore, corps and their designers through the years have made reference to licensing often being the delay.

But yeah, I must be wrong and the clear lack of understanding you hold in copyright issues must be right.

Just to help you though, your whole argument of the corps not having played the music so there's no agreement...yeah no, that would only be the case for performance and sync rights. That's completely separate from permission to arrange which MUST be granted before a note can technically be arranged.

Granted, arrangements are being written by design staffs before paperwork is signed often, but announcing and distributing anything publicly before this has been covered can/will/has caused legal action and denial.

What do I know though, I just work in the licensing industry.

42 minutes ago, corpsband said:

The only corps that's announced  "We're delaying our announcement due to licensing" is the Cadets. 

BD and Crown always wait.

Bloo is happy with last year so they will probably wait again.

BAC secretly thinks they're going to win so they are waiting too.

Everyone else -- 

Just because others haven't come out and said that some delays are due to licensing, doesn't mean they're not.

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

correct -- we have no idea whether licensing has anything to do with it or not.

I'd say much of it is, and some is not wanting to have DCP and Reddit decide before the season if a show will be good based on a show announcement, and sadly some on the interwebs dismiss or fully support shows simply based on what they read having never seen the show at all.

14 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Technically you can't begin arranging until permission is granted, so it's very much an issue. Not to mention that it can take up to 6 months to get all permission granted, and announcing before that could and has caused groups to be denied permission, as well as threat of legal action.

Furthermore, corps and their designers through the years have made reference to licensing often being the delay.

But yeah, I must be wrong and the clear lack of understanding you hold in copyright issues must be right.

Just to help you though, your whole argument of the corps not having played the music so there's no agreement...yeah no, that would only be the case for performance and sync rights. That's completely separate from permission to arrange which MUST be granted before a note can technically be arranged.

Granted, arrangements are being written by design staffs before paperwork is signed often, but announcing and distributing anything publicly before this has been covered can/will/has caused legal action and denial.

What do I know though, I just work in the licensing industry.

okay Sherlock...

and let's just discount the DECADES of violations too...

Edited by Liahona

Just now, Liahona said:

okay Sherlock...

No need to get defensive, just clearing up the inaccuracies in your post.