Ramps, Safety, OSHA

Well, let's first identify some differences such as, for instance, drum corps MM's aren't "volunteers", they're customers. They pay for an experience. If that experience includes risk, then they actually pay for it.

High school kids are students of municipal school districts that are governed by a different set of rules. I seems completely out of the question to me that a HS band director could get permission from its school administration/BOD to put kids vertical like drum corps did this season.

Drum corps protect themselves with detailed contracts that limit liability; I'm pretty sure there is no such protection available for school districts.

IMO, I don't think we need to find ways to protect them at those heights because they likely wouldn't be allowed up there in the first place.

indoor at least, several local circuits have in place a rule that over 6 feet high, railings must be included. WGI may have this too.

• Like 1

The LAST thing DCI needs is OSHA coming in and over-regulating marching band field shows. You can be self-regulating, safe, without getting government and the lawyers involved. This isn't a job workplace. This is a volunteer activity.

• Like 3

The LAST thing DCI needs is OSHA coming in and over-regulating marching band field shows. You can be self-regulating, safe, without getting government and the lawyers involved. This isn't a job workplace. This is a volunteer activity.

geez stop with the OSHA. it's not applicable as the MM's are not employees.

• Like 2

That's right. For the MM's. However, there may be an issue with staff. If a staff member, a paid staff member, climbs on bridges, ramps, towers, scaffolding, etc., etc. they WOULD fall under OSHA regulations. And don't forget the Notre Dame student killed when a scissor lift fell over in a strong gust of wind. I guess what I am saying is accidents happen even in the most careful unexpected or seemingly benign circumstances, so I hope no one gets too crazy with the props being used and growing or outdoing what has been done.