Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

He probably means American Swing.

But on this... as this is the Bluecoats thread, the Bluecoats are pretty faithful to the Jazz idiom... swing, fusion, symphonic, ethnic or otherwise.

I would say Bluecoats have moved their entire rep to freeform in general. That obviously means embracing some of the basic concepts of jazz, most notably soloists.

It's refreshing to see a corps not have a story weaved into their show, but offer up a group playing on the edge well. Bluecoats have done that in spades the last few years and have been rewarded for it. Talent level has soared, kids love being part of their shows, the crowd responds to their efforts, judges are scoring high on the difficulty and entertainment level........great design team in Canton in my opinion.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

It's refreshing to see a corps not have a story weaved into their show, but offer up a group playing on the edge well. Bluecoats have done that in spades the last few years and have been rewarded for it. Talent level has soared, kids love being part of their shows, the crowd responds to their efforts, judges are scoring high on the difficulty and entertainment level........great design team in Canton in my opinion.

Entertainment doesn't win a show, but I'll agree about the no story, very refreshing. Also I really want to know what's innovative and never before seen in this show other than a zigzag prop being used. I love the show, just some people are acting like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by kinetic inferno11
  • Like 1

I saw the video on Facebook. 

Man, they were impressive, I LOVE the horn book (Psychopomp is awesome) 

I like what they are doing, I can't wait to see it in Mid-july. 

By the way the closer is just insane. Having the tubas run down that ramp at full speed. 

Edited by ohwiseone
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Entertainment doesn't win a show, but I'll agree about the no story, very refreshing. Also I really want to know what's innovative and never before seen in this show other than a zigzag prop being used. I love the show, just some people are acting like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Some people are, but it's not like last year where you basically knew they were going to be the talk of the entire season. Nothing wrong with working in their groove, that's what BD has done for the last decade or so thematically. The most important part is what everyone can see, which is that the kids love being in the corps and performing the show. That just exudes from everything Bluecoats does now, and that makes every performance fun to watch.

Feels like last year where people who didn't really like the show are creating a narrative.  I can't recall seeing anyone last night saying they are being overly innovative this year, lots of praise for the music and certain visual elements but I'm not seeing people saying what you think they are.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Good point about how refreshing it is to just enjoy great music and visuals without wondering if there is something in the storyline that you are missing. 

I was very impressed with the show end trumpet twosome! Some really excellent playing!

• Like 2

I've watched the video from the theater a few times and did attend one of the rehearsals at Denison last week but the show wasn't done.
Here's what I'm seeing new but I haven't watched too much 80's, 90's drum corps so maybe it's been done?

The prop and the ability to completely hide the entire drum corps and create unique staging/flow in and out.
The hornline playing the opening underneath. How do they get time?
Pit setup/spread
The use of the hat as a prop for the entire hornline for the majority of their show?
Battery playing under the prop and creating a battery ensemble sound I’ve never heard anyone do before. I love how it fits the feel of the original music. Genius.
Quads playing at the crazy spreads they are in.
Backfield micing to spread the hornline sound across the entire field while playing backfield to the corner. That's one you have to hear live.
Trumpet players changing their sound with foot pedals during those solos at the end.

I’m sure there’s 20 more things in their electronic/audio setup and staging demands that I’m missing and will need to see/hear more.  I'm not a huge fan of the uniform but the starkness and simplicity it gives does make sense. They definitely can't hide anything wearing all white two years in a row!  I'm sure it will grow on my like last year.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Geneva said:

Good point about how refreshing it is to just enjoy great music and visuals without wondering if there is something in the storyline that you are missing. 

I was very impressed with the show end trumpet twosome! Some really excellent playing!

This is how I view any show, and it makes the evening a lot more enjoyable.

If there is a story line, and I happen to get it, all the better.

• Like 1