Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Entertainment doesn't win a show, but I'll agree about the no story, very refreshing. Also I really want to know what's innovative and never before seen in this show other than a zigzag prop being used. I love the show, just some people are acting like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

May not be the greatest thing since sliced bread... But it is the greatest thing since Down Side Up.

Likewise, I'm not sure that it's fair to discount the biggest, most unique and interesting thing about the show and then ask 'what is so innovative'?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ohwiseone said:

I saw the video on Facebook. 

Man, they were impressive, I LOVE the horn book (Psychopomp is awesome) 

I like what they are doing, I can't wait to see it in Mid-july. 

By the way the closer is just insane. Having the tubas run down that ramp at full speed. 

Once again Bluecoats have staged a production that doesn't really require any information before seeing the show.  Visually I think it's another monster in particular with the staging. The way they use props, work the drill around them, and stage various sections is really dynamic. Like the music once again. Maybe not as much as last year, but I need to see it live to get a better feel. Will see them tomorrow here in Canton.  

Performance wise, I think Blooo has no weaknesses. Great brass, percussion, guard, and visual execution.  And, like most of the corps, they were not nearly on their game last night. They had issues, like most corps do early season.  Still, I think you see the potential in both the show and with these talented performers.  I'm not a huge fan of sultry, Saturday night at the club type shows.  Some of the sexiness of this show doesn't do a ton for me; but on a whole I love it.  The visuals, staging, and performance of the corps overshadows the sultry aspects.  

Where will it place? Who knows? Top 3 for sure. Can it repeat? Yes.  It's all about good competition, improvement, and making the right changes at this juncture. 

Go Blooo!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

This is how I view any show, and it makes the evening a lot more enjoyable.

If there is a story line, and I happen to get it, all the better.

Probably a good approach. Some of the storylines are so abstract or their depiction is so distracted that it just makes me a feel like I am viewing a lot of frenetic energy leaving me puzzled as to what the objective is and leaving me unsatisfied.

Edited by Geneva
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ohwiseone said:

HOLY CRAP AT THE LAST 30 SECONDS OF THIS SHOW. They are moving, and those tubas are running full speed down that ramp.  

I nearly spit out my water in my mouth when I first saw this at Denison. I was right on the 50, about 5 yards back (basically underneath the staff). I've never seen anything like this attempted before. I hope the judges award them for this, because it is definitely serious (risky) business.

EDIT: You really have to be field level to see this in its raw power form. Unbelievable really.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 4

Was I the only one that found the restraint electronics wise pretty refreshing?   Don't get me wrong, they've had some fantastic usage in previous years that I was one of the biggest supporters of but outside the ballad this show is just a bad ### rock out gas of a show musically for me.  That's one of the ways I think they mixed it up a little bit.  

Also, speaking to the ballad.  I suspect more than ever this needs to be experienced live.  It was impossible for me to get a read last night.  People who have seen it live, would you agree?

• Like 1

While I agree that seeing this live would be the best choice, I have noticed that the last three years, after receiving the cd's, there was waaaaaaay more there than I had heard at any time in seeing it live.

Credit to Ben Gunnarson

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 5

completely disagree with calling this show downside up 2. 

just as wrong to me as those who called 2015 tilt 2. 

music is extremely different this year compared to last year. just look at the ballads for goodness sake. other than some similar graphics on the silks, i don't see a lot of visual similarity to last year, either. 

love this show. can't wait to see what they'll come up with as the season continues. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced it is wise to split the field in general, esp with a prop that is as large and foreboding as theirs is.

I wish they had sloped the stage forward more. Even at a fairly high level you really couldn't tell it was a jagged line. It definitely won't read at field level.

Actually, if you saw it live, you might be surprised how well you can read it  at a low level simply because of the action that takes place on it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually, if you saw it live, you might be surprised how well you can read it  at a low level simply because of the action that takes place on it.

Agreed. It's awesome @ field level.

• Like 2