Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Review of Lisle, IL Show:

1. It is clear that the ballad has been majorly revised from a sound engineer's perspective. Before, when the corps turned around, the audio from the back field mics started low, then progressively got louder, and then faded away.

2. Now, when the corps turns around, the audio is at MAX levels, and STAYS there the entire way through the end of the ballad. It is A WALL OF SOUND now. And it is beautiful. My bet is that they are looking to add an echo effect at the end, to achieve the same effect they were trying acoustically before. We will see. Ballad has been MUCH IMPROVED. Jeremy NAILED it again.

3. Zombie Woof is OFF THE HOOK. So tight for July 1. The soloists are much improved, just over the last few days. They are really locking in.

4. Wow what a stage build/tear-down. This, in itself, should win some sort of prop award, just in the logistics of everything. 

5. Just realized, the Drum Major actually doesn't start the show. The pit starts the audio clip and things go from there. Pretty neat. They've added in the intro to Bluecoats clip to the audio now.

6. The drum line was SMOKIN. Sanford? Maybe.

Overall, best run I've seen BLOO do this year. Not sure what it was, but they had a great night. About the only major thing was some phasing in the beginning of Psychopomp. This is going to be very hard to nail down, because the corps is literally playing on opposite sides of a WALL, with the soloists playing into mics that are being outputted to the front of the field. It's a crazy listening environment.

Lots of little choreo added to guard and horn line movement from last week. Incredible amount of stuff happening in this show.

Aaron Beck and his sound team are dialing this show in. Tonight was the best I've heard it.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 6

From my adoptee: "Thanks! I had my best run of the season tonight and it sounded like others did great too!!"

• Like 4

Does anyone think that this show is as ground breaking as Down Side Up?

1 minute ago, DrumCorpsForever said:

Down Side Up wasn't groundbreaking. It was just an amalgamation of all the innovations done by Bloo and other corps before them. 

Really the most groundbreaking thing was their pit setup with the use of in-ear devices. 

WGI costumes, electronic effects, dancing, grooving ballads, screamers, 3 dimensional and interactive props, all been done before. Bloo just combined it all in one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrumCorpsForever said:

Their use of electronics is as groundbreaking (again). The 3rd dimension is explored a lot more than DSU. Other than that, it's just drummin, spinnin and blowin to the max! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Down Side Up wasn't groundbreaking. It was just an amalgamation of all the innovations done by Bloo and other corps before them. 

Really the most groundbreaking thing was their pit setup with the use of in-ear devices. 

WGI costumes, electronic effects, dancing, grooving ballads, screamers, 3 dimensional and interactive props, all been done before. Bloo just combined it all in one. 

Perhaps the energy level and its maintenance was not as much groundbreaking but refreshing. Certainly it evoked audience engagement that never seemed to diminish.

This year's version is not as unusual.

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Perhaps the energy level and its maintenance was not as much groundbreaking but refreshing. Certainly it evoked audience engagement that never seemed to diminish.

This year's version is not as unusual.

Refreshing is a better word. Groundbreaking, not so much. 

• Like 3