Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Way to go Bloo! Topping SCV in Brass & PERCUSSION and total music tonight!

And less than a point away!

i want these two corps to get medals...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Way to go Bloo! Topping SCV in Brass & PERCUSSION and total music tonight!

But below SCV in content for all of the music captions. 

There's still 3 weeks for SCV to clean that up. 

Hopefully Bloo has more content in store 

• Like 2

Bloo has always gotten shafted in content, going back most notably to 2015 when they were criminally under-recognized for their masterful usage of minimalism. That said, they're still so incredibly sloppy that I'm shocked that they're getting the execution numbers that they are. I think the kids are tired from putting out so much raw energy every night that they've lost control; hopefully the upcoming free day will rejuvenate them.

1 minute ago, pudding said:

Bloo has always gotten shafted in content, going back most notably to 2015 when they were criminally under-recognized for their masterful usage of minimalism. That said, they're still so incredibly sloppy that I'm shocked that they're getting the execution numbers that they are. I think the kids are tired from putting out so much raw energy every night that they've lost control; hopefully the upcoming free day will rejuvenate them.

And tough to clean visually.  The white shows everything.  But, who cares.  High energy and entertaining every doggone second of the show.  Wherever Bloo lands this year, my favorite show regardless.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, pudding said:

I disagree.  I feel their execution is WAY better than their content.  IMO, their brass book is FAR easier than SCV's.  Its got energy yeah, but outside of a few trumpet runs in Zappa, demand seems to be lacking in the brass.  I think the scores were right where they should have been tonight, including percussion and brass.  

• Like 2

Just now, BoaDci said:

I disagree.  I feel their execution is WAY better than their content.  IMO, their brass book is FAR easier than SCV's.  Its got energy yeah, but outside of a few trumpet runs in Zappa, demand seems to be lacking in the brass.  I think the scores were right where they should have been tonight, including percussion and brass.  

There's more to demand than chords and a few double-tonguing section. Bloo's environmental demands, metric demands, and hocket rhythms are all vastly superior to anything SCV is doing in those same categories. I'll agree that SCV is stronger in their chords and double-tonguing, but focusing on those is incredibly myopic from a holistic musical perspective.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, pudding said:

There's more to demand than chords and a few double-tonguing section. Bloo's environmental demands, metric demands, and hocket rhythms are all vastly superior to anything SCV is doing in those same categories. I'll agree that SCV is stronger in their chords and double-tonguing, but focusing on those is incredibly myopic from a holistic musical perspective.

This 1000000%.

Having seen it live tonight I fully realize the timing demands. They have trading off eighth note passages across the field while jazz running. I would say Bloo has the most demanding brass book this year from a timing standpoint. 

• Like 9