Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

30 minutes ago, pudding said:

There's more to demand than chords and a few double-tonguing section. Bloo's environmental demands, metric demands, and hocket rhythms are all vastly superior to anything SCV is doing in those same categories. I'll agree that SCV is stronger in their chords and double-tonguing, but focusing on those is incredibly myopic from a holistic musical perspective.

To each his own.

Edit:  I mean, to an extent there is definitely demand in timing and field placement etc.   But hidden demand does not always recieve credit.  It has before (Cadets 2015), and it hasnt before (BD 2013).  Just depends on who's judging.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pudding said:

Bloo has always gotten shafted in content, going back most notably to 2015 when they were criminally under-recognized for their masterful usage of minimalism. That said, they're still so incredibly sloppy that I'm shocked that they're getting the execution numbers that they are. I think the kids are tired from putting out so much raw energy every night that they've lost control; hopefully the upcoming free day will rejuvenate them.

No corps get shafted. I hate the dumb judging conspiracy theories that DCPers like to latch on to just because they think they know better than the green shirted people on the field (who, mind you, have years and years of training and experience)

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 4

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Thank you !!!!  If I am not mistaken, the tempo for the soloist in the ballad was slowed down-love it.

Yes, yes, yes!  Excited to hear that they slowed it down.  They've been making a lot of improvements lately.  This show is so close to being the perfect entertainment experience for me as a drum corps fan, save for a few nits.  The tempo in the ballad was definitely one of them.  The sustain at the end of the ballad also sounds like it's a bit longer, which is awesome.  Miss that slow stanky leg visual when they're turned back field, though!

Here's something I posted elsewhere closer to the start of the season:

Some things I wish they'd look into is slowing down the ballad about 10-12 clicks, revisit the front ensemble writing in the intro to the ballad (way too heavily layered), and let the euphonium soloist perform rubato to an extent ... or perhaps extend certain phrases into 5/4 or 6/4 time to allow him to sustain some notes. His phrasing sounds rushed at times and I think it's simply because he's confined to the arrangement's time signature.  Giving him just a little bit of freedom in that regard would sound incredible.  One last thing - those trombones in the intro to the show, they've gotta go.  The timbre feels out of place and they're often causing slight tears as the bass part is also present in the front ensemble.  

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 4

Probably too late in the game for this, but I also would like some type of imagining of a "spotlight" for soloists on the stage. Whether that be something provided by the guard, such as a spot of color, something that replicates a stage performance of the cabaret style. Flags / banners surrounding them, something.

Just one cleaning suggestion:  In the new edition of "Drum Corps World" just out today, on page 16 there is a photo with the guard up front in the picture.  Three of the girl's fishnet hose are in shreds.  Since you can't even tell they are wearing fishnet hose at a distance, why not just toss them and let the girls go barelegged. 

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

No corps get shafted. I hate the dumb judging conspiracy theories that DCPers like to latch on to just because they think they know better than the green shirted people on the field (who, mind you, have years and years of training and experience).

As I mentioned earlier, a few years ago I was in touch with another corps' brass instructor. Certain aspects of their show seemed particularly challenging to me, and I asked him about some details. In his response, he noted that not one judge had ever commented on that aspect of the show.

No matter how much experience and training they have, they're human. They make mistakes and they have biases.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I mentioned earlier, a few years ago I was in touch with another corps' brass instructor. Certain aspects of their show seemed particularly challenging to me, and I asked him about some details. In his response, he noted that not one judge had ever commented on that aspect of the show.

No matter how much experience and training they have, they're human. They make mistakes and they have biases.

When you watch a full day of drum corps at a major show, you see the vast disparity between the lowest and highest scoring corps. Imagine having to have the same criterion for Pioneer as you do Bluecoats. As someone alluded to last night, three fourths of the corps are essentially doing much of the same things, and then you get to the top eight and it's a veritable heavyweight boxing match, with ramps and slides and sound effects and hell last year a frigging horse drawn carriage.

i would imagine judges share war stories about how to measure something that no other corps is actually doing, to compare one to the other. Must be darned near impossible.

• Like 6