Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

My 2 cents (that are probably worth even less to most other people).

At this scoring bracket with this spread... The difference in placement comes down to je ne sais quoi.

This non-propositional difference will become more static with time and coverage (as it has been).  The performance figures at this level are negligible (meaning that if corps X is 'clearly' out performing corps Y, then the scores should be wider).  Now, if this is true, one would think that the placements would be shuffling more than they have been for the past week and a half.  But that gets back to my first point.  Essentially, every judge is a GE judge.  What I am seeing is a scenario where the judges would like to spread out the scoring of these top 4 more than it is... but they are actually bound by the technicalities of performance to keep them tight.

I think that the Bluecoats are likely to be isolated in a 4th position and the Blue Devils are going to be the same in 1st.

The action may be in spots 1-2 and maybe 5-7 (more like 6-8).

They still have a "contending" show by the numbers... But absent a major emotional shift... They will be an awesome 4th place crowd favorite.

Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by cfirwin3
Spell correction and clarification
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

At this scoring bracket with this spread... The difference in placement comes down to je ne sais quoi.

This non-propositional difference will become more static with time and coverage (as it has been).  The performance figures at this level are negligible (meaning that if corps X is 'clearly' out performing corps Y, then the scores should be wider).  Now, if this is true, one would think that the placements would be shuffling more than they have been for the past week and a half.  But that gets back to my first point.  Essentially, every judge is a GE judge.  What I am seeing is a scenario where the judges would like to spread out the scoring of these top 4 more than it is... but they are actually bound by the technicalities of performance to keep them tight.

I think that the Bluecoats are likely to be isolated in a 4th position and the Blue Devils are going to be the same in 1st.

They still have a "contending" show by the numbers... But absent a major emotional shift... They will be an awesome 4th place crowd favorite.

Nothing wrong with that.

Clearly you haven't looked at the recap my dude. Either those almost random placements of captions were so meticulously planned to add up to a specific number from every judge, or that's just how it is. I wouldn't think the color guard judge said "oh they did good but putting their guard in 3rd wouldn't slot them properly into 4th place....so 6th it is."

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Nothing wrong with that.

It's my favorite show.  First, fourth...no matter to me.  The kids are enjoying the hell out of performing this show.  It's a joy to watch. 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, ajlemm said:

I also think the post is a few weeks to soon. As others have said, Blooo was in 4th around this time last year too. 

Bluecoats won this San Antonio regionals last season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It's my favorite show.  First, fourth...no matter to me.  The kids are enjoying the hell out of performing this show.  It's a joy to watch. 

Agree.. its an amazingly entertaining show once again from the Bluecoats.

• Like 4

What was with that Sam and Claire thing last night at retreat according to several threads here?

If Miss Cadets has any influence over Mr. Bloo, she should gift him with a razor to get rid of that peach fuzzies he has been sporting around his mouth and chin.

I don't think the Jim Jones award has ever been given to someone sporting a mop on their face.

Come on G. Hopkins: Tell him it distorts all appearances of crisp performance on Flomarching. Graham, is Sam just afraid of a few jagged lines from a sharp blade? Claire deserves better. :inlove:

2 hours ago, THeShadeOfNight said:

Clearly you haven't looked at the recap my dude. Either those almost random placements of captions were so meticulously planned to add up to a specific number from every judge, or that's just how it is. I wouldn't think the color guard judge said "oh they did good but putting their guard in 3rd wouldn't slot them properly into 4th place....so 6th it is."

You are merely pointing out the fantastical mystery of caption math... Totally get it... Stopped thinking so hard about it years ago.  The point of consideration there is that competitive captions are generally around .2 in maximum difference.  Given the large number of captions... it statistically will stay relatively stable night to night even with some fairly robust swings in the captions or subcaptions.

I have indeed looked at all of them.  That's why I think the outcome is becoming somewhat stable for Bloo... Again, barring a breakthrough (which isn't necessary, frankly) in a GE gain.

• Like 3

While the ballad is much improved with the new staging it still feels like a boat anchor between a championship worthy beginning and end.  Great Gig was the high point in last year's show and right now that is how that are lagging behind the California teams.

• Like 1

Too much of this show’s visual has been given to the horn line dancing…put the members in tight, white outfits and you notice that horn players can’t dance very well. Last year they had movement (interacting with the ramps) and some dancing. This year, too much dancing

I like the show but you could see this was coming

• Like 3