Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Rennick is one of the best in the business. I would never bet on anyone but SCV when it comes to percussion 

Rennick also has "chats" with the judges whenever he doesn't win drums. So there's that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Rennick's writing, and his sections are always great. That said, it's not impossible for other lines to take Sanfords.

So.. haven't read too much on this thread lately so this may have already been discussed, but what's up with Bloo? Last year they had a championship with a good formula, and this years show seems to keep that formula and tweak it. So why are they so "far behind" right now? It's not my favorite show, but it's still highly entertaining and has a LOT of challenging complex stuff going on, it seems like they'd be ranking at least 2nd or 3rd or be winning. This post may be a couple hours too soon, cause they very well could win tonight... just kinda have a feeling they won't, and it's kinda confusing? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

That might be so.   But wouldn't be interesting to have them adjudicated in street clothes by a judge that knows nothing about who they are or who they're instructed by.    SCV is incredible, but so are a few others that will give them a run for the Sanford this year.

I don't know...Rennick's writing has a distinct style and I could spot one of his lines a mile away. Now do that with BD and Bloo...very similar, would be harder but I think I'd be able to pick out Bloo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

I don't know...Rennick's writing has a distinct style and I could spot one of his lines a mile away. Now do that with BD and Bloo...very similar, would be harder but I think I'd be able to pick out Bloo. 

I think both Tom and Dave's writing are very distinctive. Dave likes to use powerful impacts (lots of two-hand shots), intricate hand-to-hand passages, and very, very fast rolls, as well as using lots of negative space to emphasize the times when they are playing. Tom likes paradiddlediddles, triplet rolls, nine-lets, flam passages, and "fluid" writing (as opposed to impactful writing, like Dave). Tom's bass drum writing is also more melodic.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, pudding said:

Rennick also has "chats" with the judges whenever he doesn't win drums. So there's that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Rennick's writing, and his sections are always great. That said, it's not impossible for other lines to take Sanfords.

For sure. Percussion has been one of those captions that has been swapping around quite a bit every year. 

I do know that I prefer Rennick's more musical and melodical writing over any of the others 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Eh, if you guessed that the line that was ramming notes in like their life depended on it was BD you'd probably be right ~60% of the time.

EDIT: Though this was more true last decade than it seems to have been recently. Possibly due to Glyde's growing influence.

Edited by ftwdrummer

kM2DLvC.jpg

Credit: Sean Thueson

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

So.. haven't read too much on this thread lately so this may have already been discussed, but what's up with Bloo? Last year they had a championship with a good formula, and this years show seems to keep that formula and tweak it. So why are they so "far behind" right now? It's not my favorite show, but it's still highly entertaining and has a LOT of challenging complex stuff going on, it seems like they'd be ranking at least 2nd or 3rd or be winning. This post may be a couple hours too soon, cause they very well could win tonight... just kinda have a feeling they won't, and it's kinda confusing? 

I also think the post is a few weeks to soon. As others have said, Blooo was in 4th around this time last year too. Plus, at the top of the heap, it's so ultra competitive that any of those top corps could win.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Eh, if you guessed that the line that was ramming notes in like their life depended on it was BD you'd probably be right ~60% of the time.

Hah! Their drum break in 2012 comes to mind. Loved the writing in that one, especially towards the end of that break where the line had to speed up together in time. I don't need to be a drum guy to know just how difficult that must be to do cleanly!

Their 2013 drum break is a good example of that ramming notes philosophy too now that I think about it 

Edited by Cappybara

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hah! Their drum break in 2012 comes to mind. Loved the writing in that one, especially towards the end of that break where the line had to speed up together in time. I don't need to be a drum guy to know just how difficult that must be to do cleanly!

Their 2013 drum break is a good example of that ramming notes philosophy too now that I think about it 

'07 and '08 were the ones that came to mind for me. Yay generational difference, I guess?

I much prefer their more understated, more deliberately musical/melodic drum features--the ones that are basically stealth features that you don't realize until afterward were the percussion feature. '05 and '11 are the key examples for that.

(Also: seriously, the music book from '05 is awesome. Shame the rest of the design stunk as much as it did.)