Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

2 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

'07 and '08 were the ones that came to mind for me. Yay generational difference, I guess?

I much prefer their more understated, more deliberately musical/melodic drum features--the ones that are basically stealth features that you don't realize until afterward were the percussion feature. '05 and '11 are the key examples for that.

(Also: seriously, the music book from '05 is awesome. Shame the rest of the design stunk as much as it did.)

I started following DCI around 2012 so that's probably why those were the examples that popped in my head first. 2008 was a really good one too! They had some interesting percussion instrumentation that year. I don't quite remember 2007's. 

Felliniesque had a bit more of an understated drum break as well.  

25 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

I also think the post is a few weeks to soon. As others have said, Blooo was in 4th around this time last year too. Plus, at the top of the heap, it's so ultra competitive that any of those top corps could win.

Last year they were first in Houston...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnpendell said:

So.. haven't read too much on this thread lately so this may have already been discussed, but what's up with Bloo? Last year they had a championship with a good formula, and this years show seems to keep that formula and tweak it. So why are they so "far behind" right now? It's not my favorite show, but it's still highly entertaining and has a LOT of challenging complex stuff going on, it seems like they'd be ranking at least 2nd or 3rd or be winning. This post may be a couple hours too soon, cause they very well could win tonight... just kinda have a feeling they won't, and it's kinda confusing? 

Bloo has a great show this year. Right now, three corps with great designs are outperforming them. It is that simple. There is still time to turn things around ... change certain parts of the show and clean, clean, clean ... but regardless of where Bloo ultimately places, it is still a wildly entertaining show and one I will be watching a lot on my BlooRays.

• Like 7

will be interestingto see what score they get

8 hours ago, pudding said:

Rennick also has "chats" with the judges whenever he doesn't win drums. So there's that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Rennick's writing, and his sections are always great. That said, it's not impossible for other lines to take Sanfords.

Every single corps has "chats" with the judges about everything, including when they are unhappy with the marks they receive.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ajlemm said:

I also think the post is a few weeks to soon. As others have said, Blooo was in 4th around this time last year too. Plus, at the top of the heap, it's so ultra competitive that any of those top corps could win.

Bloo was in 1st at this time last year. They won Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown and finals. They won it all (well almost). Their last loss last year was 7/25 by 0.4 to BD. The top 4 in general are strong this year, perhaps stronger than last year. 

Edited by henry7184

Bloo has some work to do ... not only looking to move up, but there is a hungry corps nipping at their heels. I am confident they are up to the challenge. 

5 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Bloo has a great show this year. Right now, three corps with great designs are outperforming them. It is that simple. There is still time to turn things around ... change certain parts of the show and clean, clean, clean ... but regardless of where Bloo ultimately places, it is still a wildly entertaining show and one I will be watching a lot on my BlooRays.

True that! Crazy year. 

• Like 1