Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Here's a post from someone who marched BD last year [...]

Here's another short comment from a different 2016 BD member: [...]

And here's one last one from a diff member: [...]

BD has tons of hidden visual demand.

Very good post certainly responds appropriately to the question of difficulty.

On the other hand, through the years, I have felt that a fair bit of BD's body work, no matter how challenging, is not very interesting. I even pointed this out a week or two ago as specifically concerned what BD's tuba players are doing near the beginning of "Bumblebee". That's a different judge, of course. But maybe that's part of why two G.E. judges put BD in third on Saturday.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Who doesn't? :)

I don't (very much) - the mentality is quite juvenile (which I like and has it's place) sometimes when it comes to drum corps. More like a band perspective on things

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

On the other hand, through the years, I have felt that a fair bit of BD's body work, no matter how challenging, is not very interesting. I even pointed this out a week or two ago as specifically concerned what BD's tuba players are doing near the beginning of "Bumblebee". That's a different judge, of course. But maybe that's part of why two G.E. judges put BD in third on Saturday.

I don't disagree. I do find a lot of the visual choices in BD's shows to be bizarre, and yet somehow I always come away loving the cohesive product all the weird parts form. 

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

yeah that tuba section is very weak - I have a feeling they just stuck that out there for a placeholder. Wonder what it coming?

Just now, Cappybara said:

I don't disagree. I do find a lot of the visual choices in BD's shows to be bizarre, and yet somehow I always come away loving the cohesive product all the weird parts form. 

they have a great eye for design IMO. As does Bloo the past 5 years or so!

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

I don't (very much) - the mentality is quite juvenile (which I like and has it's place) sometimes when it comes to drum corps. More like a band perspective on things

It does have its juvenile posters, yes. But it also has a more lighthearted atmosphere than DCP (most of the time). And being able to read first-hand thoughts from current and former recent marching members is my favorite part of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

It does have its juvenile posters, yes. But it also has a more lighthearted atmosphere than DCP (most of the time). And being able to read first-hand thoughts from current and former recent marching members is my favorite part of it. 

totally agree - that's why I check it out

less "debating" and more current POV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

they have a great eye for design IMO. As does Bloo the past 5 years or so!

I think they have an instinctive institutional knowledge of design that drives all of their decisions. I am sure they have disagreements but you never get the sense there is any disagreement about design intent. The consistency in their commitment to over-arching themes and messages, and the delivery of ideas in multiple levels, is what attracts the more experienced marching members, and of course ensures that they retain their most talented staff members.

i watch all of their videos, and while they do seem to be subtly directed at the judging community, there is no doubt there is a shared passion for creative freedom and execution. It is the very core of their culture. I've worked in the creative fields my whole life, and believe me that is very unique. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Here's a post from someone who marched BD last year: 

"I don't know if you've marched but the thing with bd body and choreo Just as Bloo has lots of hidden musical demand, BD has tons of hidden visual demand

yes and no, really just one way of looking at it

sounds like it was written by a tuba player or member of the pit..marching iz hardz, must think about s p a c e, oh look over there

you shouldn't rip off someones content from another site to post here but whatever...it's not like I'm a band parent that CARES