Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree :) specifically, I think they should work on making sure everyone's movements are consistent in their style/language. Just from my unexperienced eye, I've noticed that it's a bit inconsistent from person to person 

It's a LOT inconsistent from person to person, and this is why I was saying that they need to emphasize control. Their visual moment have the potential to be stunning, but they need to have BD levels of visual unity in order to pull them off properly. Right now, they still have members who are not interpreting the beat the same as everyone else, or who are overhyping a lean, or raising their hat to a different angle... lots of little things that add up to ruin the effect.

Little Rock is where they've historically made the most changes and progress. I'm very excited to see what comes of the next three days.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree :) specifically, I think they should work on making sure everyone's movements are consistent in their style/language. Just from my unexperienced eye, I've noticed that it's a bit inconsistent from person to person 

Though I like the mostly white and black accent of the Bluecoats, every movement, good or otherwise, is easy to see.  I think their costume choice this year adds to the difficulty of looking crisp in movement as a group.  Couple that with a guard that, color-accent-wise, does not pop nearly as much as last year's edition.  Brass moves like a frienght train out of control sometimes - which is pretty spectacular, but certainly adds to the challenge of clean feet. The stage is awesome, but compared to the ramps all over the field last year, there are limited staging and stopping points - which places even more demand on the performers to create their own GE. 

Most of the challenges of the Bluecoats show this year is one of the reasons why it's my favorite show.   It's just pretty doggone entertaining.  I do think that many of the cleaning challenges will take care of themselves over the next couple of weeks.  Hopefully, the Bluecoats will stay conserviative to making major changes in the show during the season.   Doing so will give them the opportunity to clean the visual.  Clean the visual and everything else will take care of itself.   If they do, this corps will medal.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, pudding said:

It's a LOT inconsistent from person to person, and this is why I was saying that they need to emphasize control. Their visual moment have the potential to be stunning, but they need to have BD levels of visual unity in order to pull them off properly. Right now, they still have members who are not interpreting the beat the same as everyone else, or who are overhyping a lean, or raising their hat to a different angle... lots of little things that add up to ruin the effect.

Little Rock is where they've historically made the most changes and progress. I'm very excited to see what comes of the next three days.

Fosse is not easy.   I admire them so much for doing this.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Well...today was the annual BLOOO CHRISTMAS...and the corps is spending THREE DAYS at one of their favorite places WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Great things happen there!

Bloo Christmas (Christmas in July) is always one of the best days of the season for the members..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Well...today was the annual BLOOO CHRISTMAS...and the corps is spending THREE DAYS at one of their favorite places WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Great things happen there!

Allot can happen in three days of rehearsal 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

The last time I was in Little Rock as a marching member, there was this strange dragonfly invasion.  Just thousands of them.  They were landing on us, horns, drums, and the staff kept saying they won't sting you...but still....:shudder::

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The last time I was in Little Rock as a marching member, there was this strange dragonfly invasion.  Just thousands of them.  They were landing on us, horns, drums, and the staff kept saying they won't sting you...but still....:shudder::

Funny little fact of the day: Dragonflies are the fastest flying insects with speeds up to 35 miles per hour!   

And you thought Bloo flies around the field fast!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Here's a post from someone who marched BD last year: 

"I don't know if you've marched but the thing with bd body and choreo is that it's a lot harder than it looks. Its something that becomes apparent when someone marches and they attempt subsets of the stuff that bd does, you really get a good look at the difficulty of BD's shows. It's why BD does movement and choreo that not a lot of other corps do and they do it cleanly. Part of the reason people go to BD is for the learning experience and just getting to know the process of teaching that kind of stuff at a high level and because we have so many vets they can skip all the basic stuff and go into the more difficult body. Its one of those things where "if it's easy then everyone would do it" but they don't. I think one of the coolest things last year was our ballad choreography during the pit break when a judge was absolutely going crazy for our body. We worked on it practically every block and didn't even get it close to right until like a week before finals. It looks like the easiest thing, 76 hornline members doing their own thing but to get 76 members to do something that is so different from each other that resembles the same idea while looking good was the craziest part. Even as a member I thought it looked so simple and easy but it was easily one of the harder moves. This year they're doing a lot of body roll stuff and rocking motions. The body rolls themselves are hard in that they're done slow. you'd think that they're easier but try body rolling. its a lot easier to go fast and uncontrolled. Same with the rocking. I could go on but you get the same idea, all of their stuff is just something you don't think about or appears easy until you try it."

here's another short comment from a different 2016 BD member: 

"As for traditional marching and playing at fast tempos, Blue Devils do enough of this to establish that they can do it at a high level. They dont need more than a few minutes of uptempo drill to prove they can execute at championship caliber. This means that they can move onto abstract and strange choreo that requires experience and maturity to be performed by the members"

and here's one last one from a diff member:

"You mention the follow the leader and what I'm assuming is aimed at a lot of the curvilinear drill. That's actually one thing I'd be willing to reckon sets BD apart year-to-year in visual captions, to maintain space in such a large and non-geometric context is insanely difficult. It's hard to do a fast box rotation or something of the same vein, but there's a lot more to latch onto to control that form versus a large curve that is either a follow the leader or even a curve that bends and flexes."

If you think those scatter sets are actual scatter sets and that they don't work on them, you're absolutely crazy. Just as Bloo has lots of hidden musical demand, BD has tons of hidden visual demand

Everything in this post is BS.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Funny little fact of the day: Dragonflies are the fastest flying insects with speeds up to 35 miles per hour!   

And you thought Bloo flies around the field fast!

I bet they could get their jagged prop to go that fast if they attached a nice motor to those little wheels. Hold on, I think I have an idea for next year's show :35_thinking:

• Like 1