Jay Bocook - Still w/Cadets?

Withe the sudden (shocking) news that BOTH Gino Cipriani AND Colin McNutt both going to Boston, maybe I missed it -- but is Jay Bocook still writing the brass book? I would hope so! Instructional staff is one thing -- but changing the breadth and scope of musical writing that has been so prevelent and closely associated with a corps is sometimes detrimental. I will us a key example here. Look at my honk corps "Phantom Regiment" -- a brass powerhouse who, after the departures of their brass and percussion writers, fell into stagnation, a somewhat 'identity crisis (at least if felt like that to me -- a faithful phan from 1978) and a new arrangers that just could not do the corps the justice in the sense that the timbre, sound and arranging was so different that what we, the fans were accustomed to.

I will say, that as many have pointed out in the "Staff Merrigoroung" thread, that change is good and leads to often bigger and better things -- however my hope is that the Cadets (and Boston) both benefit from these transitions. Phantom is STILL trying to regroup, recoup etc. C'mon...it's no lie folks! Will Pits has done good and I expect much more in 2017 -- which I hope for as well for the Cadets as well as Boston

Bocook and his arrangements are literally an expectation when it comes to the Cadets, anyone else writing has BIG shoes to fill! Have not heard if Jay too, will be moving elsewhere as well.

• Like 1

The man is a prolific composer. I've never understood why the corps doesn't take full advantage of that and have him write a completely original show. I'm tired of listening to other corps' leavings. The Cadets used to be better than that. JB wrote 2 pieces for 2005 after all... Of course, there's no one to write drum parts. Or drill. Or teach drums. Or brass.

• Like 1

This isn't totally related to the topic, but is Bocook still going to be with BK? I've really enjoyed his arranging there.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that he is still with BK.

From one of the Cadets-to-Boston staffers: Bocook is also going to Boston, but he won't be writing the book for them. He's taking more of a "consultant" role for them.

Edited by Damonallred

It is my understanding that he is still with BK.

.....nm...........

Edited by BRASSO

And still no indication that Allentown has any interest in stopping the bleeding....

• Like 1

IMHO -- This is a serious issue for Cadets. Not unlike Phantom Regiment in 2011 (well for the Drum Corps fan, follower and non-staffer) when Rennick, Shaw & visual and drill writers all abandoned ship at the SAME TIME! Phantom 'survived' -- but NOT as we know and love(d) them. Change brings a sudden bit of fear and expectation that cannot be answered when things like this occur. I have met Gino and Bocook personally and they are HUGE supporters of the activity, aside from their respective place of employ.

Should Cadets look to totally NEW personnel? Should they 'hire from within' so to speak? I use Phantom Regiment as a constant here because so much of what has suddenly transpired to Cadets, has been in play for some time with Regiment. Many a year when I volunteered many alumni were techs, and staff -- some even became caption heads etc. Look at Will Pitts! Member, conductor now brass arranger! If it were me, and I would never ask it to be so, perhaps the Cadets & GH, should they want to keep the teaching style, marching and percussion as it has been --- hire from within your ranks! If it's felt that a 'breath of fresh air' is needed -- then maybe a totally new staff be sought out.

When I first heard of this years Cadets music -- I thought "AWESOME" -- then the title "Stoned" and the theme of statues. Ugggh... then the title and theme changed, and changed again! 1/2 of the show was re-written like what 3 or 4 times? How ould YOU like to contend with that over the course of one season ? It happens, but not in that great a scale for a top 10 corps like Cadets, which is what struck me as so odd! that's like changing the way you do your job on a daily basis with something different EVERY WEEK! Man those kids overcame adversity! As I look at, watch and listen to the show this season, there was NO CLEAR design and certainly no clear theme. Who's fault is that? Certainly NOT the music arrangers nor the teaching staff. I'd be looking for direction real quick!!!!! Like in April!

Perhaps this is what caused the mass exodus? On MANY occasion, I have pondered submitting my resume' to YEA/Cadets in the past few yrs, but on the hearsay advice of some in the DC community was told -- Look elsewhere! GH is hard to please and even harder to work for! I dispute that as Cipriani, Bocook, McNutt and so many others have had long running tenures under his employ, so, I wonder why the sudden departure of not one, but several key people in the organization.

Maybe this is what the Cadets need? However, with caution my heart says "let it not take another 10 yrs to get to where we the fans, fellow musicians and DC followers of Cadets would expect them to be". But herin lies the problem .... are too many corps, the Cadets in particular, so ingrained in 'tradition' that they cannot make themselves change?

With discontent but hope I keep looking back at Phantom Regiment that "was" (87 thru early 2000's) and the Regiment that "is" today. Do we get too wrapped up in the 'They can't do that ... that's not the ______ (insert corps name here ) way!" or "they have never done that, or played that etc" that we place a burden upon the staff of said groups to 'give us what we've always had and expect"? Sometimes, like this scenario with Cadets (and of course PR) that I say yes. 2016 is a prime example. A show with no clear direction, vision or theme and pressured to 'make it work' by finals.

Tradition is one thing, history is another. Moving with the activity in the direction it's going in will be difficult for groups that ARE so steeped in tradition from the early days of DCI to the present. Coates' and Crown etc don't seem to have that problem, at least to date. Staff need to be given freedom, to be able to 'create', teach and do what they do best.... not held to a list of "we can do this, this and this, but never that!"

I look at Blue Devils, SCV, Cavaliers, Madison -- Corps that have been around and have had their share of staff turn around, but in that -- look at where they are now! I am NOT a fan of the 'theatrical, sound sampled, props and narration' that is seen today, however, it seems as the judges are rewarding just that creativity for use of same. Cadets if they can step back in the off season and REALLY leverage their talent, personnel and look at talent as talent presents itself -- (either internally or externally IE: other corps staff ) may yield a totally different and fresh approach - both visually and musically! Eager to see the who, what and where as the months go by!

Edited by PRPhan4ever
  • Like 1