72 Hours / 654 Words…but 2 are missing

Just for clarity ... are you implying that the Facebook post of Hopkins which inspired this thread "included borderline contemptuous things" about Gino or Colin?

not that one but the one where he blames Colin for the stove fire in the Winnebego which fire somehow ignited because Colin dropped his stuff and which fire Sully miraculously extinguishes as Sully wanders in from somewhere at 2:30 am. while everyone else in the corps is dead asleep. GH makes a big deal about almost dying if not for Sully wandering in from somewhere at 2:30 am in the morning while everyone else in the corps is dead asleep. Bad Colin, Good Sully.

Edited by xandandl

Just for clarity ... are you implying that the Facebook post of Hopkins which inspired this thread "included borderline contemptuous things" about Gino or Colin?

Ok, poor choice of words, should not have used borderline contemptuous. Forgive me.

People leave, we hire new people, so be it, we'll be fine. Just seemed intentionally not a very nice thing to say about people who may well have more credibility with the Cadets organization than George ever will.

• Like 1

I thought what GH wrote was great and very true. Change will happen and there is always plenty of people to blame when things go bad. A competitive and artistic activity like drum corps can probably get pretty tough, and ugly at times, behind the scenes. GH isn't perfect. Neither am I, or anyone else. I'm pretty sure he knows his drum corps and will find some great teachers and designers. I'm sure some alumni may be upset that he didn't publicly thank Gino and Colin, but that was likely dealt with behind the scenes, and perhaps a public farewell and thank you is coming at another time.

Honestly I do not see every corps out there publicly thanking their staff or designers when they move on. Sometimes it depends on how long they were with a corps.

Fair enough, I respect your experience in this. Thanks.

• Like 1

I initially thought this staff change might be a big deal but, after being reminded of the list of departures and returns on Hop's FB post, I'm convinced that this is a non-event. The facts of the Cadets' placements after prior "historic" events is proof of that belief, IMO.

Hop is who Hop is, and virtually everyone knows him, or about him, or about his reputation. It's a reputation that he's had for decades and, yet, stellar members of his staff have both come and gone just as now.

I found his FB post frankly refreshing, and refreshing coming from him, specifically. In fact, I've not been a fan of his for nearly as long as I've loved his corps, but his FB post in the face of such withering criticism has actually caused me to add a mark to the plus side for him. Maybe I love an underdog.

The OP's post presumes much about what was or wasn't said as these old, old friends made the decision to shake hands and walk away from one another. That presumption is distasteful, IMO, and paints an already difficult situation with a darker-than necessary (and un-enlightened) brush.

• Like 3

Thanks mingus, no idea where the word count came from.

So what are the exYea guys plans for Labor Day Weekend....

I initially thought this staff change might be a big deal but, after being reminded of the list of departures and returns on Hop's FB post, I'm convinced that this is a non-event. The facts of the Cadets' placements after prior "historic" events is proof of that belief, IMO.

Hop is who Hop is, and virtually everyone knows him, or about him, or about his reputation. It's a reputation that he's had for decades and, yet, stellar members of his staff have both come and gone just as now.

I found his FB post frankly refreshing, and refreshing coming from him, specifically. In fact, I've not been a fan of his for nearly as long as I've loved his corps, but his FB post in the face of such withering criticism has actually caused me to add a mark to the plus side for him. Maybe I love an underdog.

The OP's post presumes much about what was or wasn't said as these old, old friends made the decision to shake hands and walk away from one another. That presumption is distasteful, IMO, and paints an already difficult situation with a darker-than necessary (and un-enlightened) brush.

So the exodus (which most likely includes Bocook as well) doesn't concern you in the least....?

Brass arranger (HOF)

Drill writer (HOF)

Percussion arranger

Brass caption head

Asst. Dir/Tour Mgr

Essentially all in the same year. No alarm bells? No flags going up?

To me... it's almost more alarming that this kind of thing would be considered business as usual....

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 2

Thanks mingus, no idea where the word count came from.

So what are the exYea guys plans for Labor Day Weekend....

I hear they're renting out a stadium to have a cook out for everyone.