72 Hours / 654 Words…but 2 are missing

From what I hear they didn't give any notice at all until Sunday or Monday. Now I'm not defending GH but I find it extremely unprofessional that you up and leave without notice. But no one will bash them.

This is actually not that uncommon in DCI. There are not a lot of designers, cap heads, or techs that are signed to multi-year contracts, so the last day of their contract is the Saturday of Finals. They are free agents come Sunday after Finals. If the Executive Director plans to keep the staff longer he/she will work those terms out before their contracts expire. Otherwise they [the employee] do not owe the corps an answer one way or another unless the exec dir of the corps has asked and perhaps tried to negotiate.

Sometimes a corps director knows when things have simply run their course. That could be the case here. Hopkins is a smart guy and probably is fully aware that he is tough to work for, that he can be difficult on his employees. He's smart enough to know when someone needs a break from him, and vice-versa. He will not view this as an end for the Cadets, but a new beginning.

Often the Sunday and Monday after Finals, in addition to being corps banquet days (usually on Sunday), also happen to be contract days for executive directors. That is usually a day they shore-up loose ends with who is leaving, staying, and who comes onto the free agency market that might be available.

• Like 2

word on the street is everything happened quickly, so not a lot of time was available

First rumors of this circulated when CWP announced cessation. Hopkin'a nomination of Colin to HoF after a short tenure (by Cadets' 8 decades standard) brought discussion among alumni circles. Maybe you weren't in on that. During the July New England tour, more rumors (still percussion) were heard and even amongst corps members' discussions at Atlanta and Allentown.

Don't forget Gino and Colin are brothers-in-law and both became Dads in the past year. Marriage and children bring a different perspective to life as so many DCP posters know from first hand experience. And wives can have their own standards of "normal life" and "tolerable situations."

We now go LIVE to George Hopkins...

this-is-fine.0.jpg

• Like 6

This topic was an interesting read. I know nothing about what went down at Cadets, nor do I know how the design staff worked together to build a show, but I can see how a shakeup can be good for an organization. It could be true there are young designers out there waiting for a break and maybe they will push the Cadets back to the top. When you look at the Cadets over the past 30 plus years, they have won with different design teams. The only common denominator was George Hopkins. Not saying he is a good or bad boss. Not saying he does not micromanage, I do not know. What I am saying is the Cadets have been very good for over three decades and Hopkins obviously had a lot to do with that.

What I find interesting is the contradictions in the argument that Hopkins is too controlling and that is why these guys all left. This may be so, but has he changed the past few years? Did he not have the same management style all the times the Cadets won championships? If so, why would changing out design staff this year deliver different results than the many times it has happened before?

To play Devils advocate, who is to say the changes were not iniated by George Hopkins? Maybe he is ready to bring in new blood. Maybe he wants younger designers to inspire him. I don't know one way or the other in this case, but shaking things up when an organization seems stale can have very positive results. I am not willing to bet against the Cadets challenging the top corps next year.

• Like 1

I really think this is a non-issue and a case of people being hypercritical. The purpose of Hop's post was to calm the waters for alumni, current marching members, and fans. It was to reassure them that despite the fact that change is inevitable the history of the Cadets is its ability to roll with the punches. Should he have publicly thanked all of those that left? I don't know. The wounds were fresh for everyone, but I'm sure the things that need to be said will be said in their due time. I think such things are better served privately.

• Like 1

First rumors of this circulated when CWP announced cessation. Hopkin'a nomination of Colin to HoF after a short tenure (by Cadets' 8 decades standard) brought discussion among alumni circles. Maybe you weren't in on that. During the July New England tour, more rumors (still percussion) were heard and even amongst corps members' discussions at Atlanta and Allentown.

Don't forget Gino and Colin are brothers-in-law and both became Dads in the past year. Marriage and children bring a different perspective to life as so many DCP posters know from first hand experience. And wives can have their own standards of "normal life" and "tolerable situations."

i'm aware of their ties...i taught their wives in indoor percussion back in the 90's. Two lovely young ladies.

and tons of rumors circulated. However, really, everything happened pretty fast

i'm aware of their ties...i taught their wives in indoor percussion back in the 90's. Two lovely young ladies.

and tons of rumors circulated. However, really, everything happened pretty fast

yes, and there is one more tie. Gino and Colin share the same birthday, August first. I wonder if GH forgot to send a card, again?

• Like 1

It's about time someone puts Yentil on the field! Either that or Funny Girl

Papa can you hear me?

No! He can't hear you. He's dead!