Final Thoughts on an Amazing 2016 Season

Just a fabulous review! Good to see some young "blood" taking reviews seriously. I agreed with most of what you detailed. In a few cases I didn't, but who cares? DCPers are not going to agree on everything, but it's so important that we have younger fans falling in love with this activity and taking their interest beyond just attending a show. Keep it up. There are many of use who love to read how this activity affects other fans, and the insight on each corps' performances is wonderful. Bravo!

One of my favorite things when I first joined was reading old reviews, has been kinda sad that there are so little anymore. I enjoy talking about it and this is really the only effective outlet for me so why not. Lol.

And I never said I was right.

;)

If you wanna discuss something shoot.

• Like 1

Blue Devils - As Dreams are Mad On

You made, bro? :silly:

• Like 1

Blue Devils B - To the Moon

Wow. Probably the best Open Class performance I have personally seen. Amazing brass, a HUGELY improved color guard, and that percussion section is unreal, I'd say top 12 quality like they scored in the field in prelims. They took a really cliché theme that every high school has done, and did it better and fresher than just about anyone has. So many clever little things in there, I thought the use of Russian composers during the space race section was really funny. Loved the use of Apollo 13 throughout as a unifying factor, when they come in full blast with that at the end, it was so enjoyable. I particularly found the drum feature just so well designed and performed. They are a mini version of their all time great sibling. Well deserved 15th place and highest score ever, I really enjoyed this show.

Do you think there's any symbolic reason for BDB's choice to plant the flag on their moon tarp approximately where Apollo 14 landed rather than where Apollo 11 landed (even though they used a recording of Neil Armstrong's "one small step" remark from the earlier mission)?

Do you think there's any symbolic reason for BDB's choice to plant the flag on their moon tarp approximately where Apollo 14 landed rather than where Apollo 11 landed (even though they used a recording of Neil Armstrong's "one small step" remark from the earlier mission)?

Honestly had no idea, and I have a feeling that's just where they randomly placed it. But if there is a significance to that I have no clue.

Blue Devils B - To the Moon

So many clever little things in there, I thought the use of Russian composers during the space race section was really funny.

Too clever for me! I totally missed that point until you mentioned it.

Wait a minute... I thought Apollo 11 never left the movie studio where the landing was filmed. :tongue:

• Like 1

FAVORITE SHOW OF THE SEASON

Bluecoats - As much as I loved the past two years shows, this one they put it all together. I think the music choices were PERFECT and gave them an awesome foundation to build a fantastic visual performance upon.

FIRST RUNNER UP:

Academy - What can I say? The design was cute and clever, the arrangements were beautiful, and the show struck a huge emotional chord. The first time I saw it I turned to my brother and said "I could watch that show again right now."

SECOND RUNNER UP:

Carolina Crown - Probably my favorite corp. I really like this show. If I'm being honest, and totally unfair to the mm, I LOVED last years show so much that this year just didn't quite hold the same grip. They had a fantastic run at finals though, and their guard was on fire. Their drum line is under appreciated.

SHOWS THAT I APPRECIATE MORE NOW THAN DURING THE SEASON

Santa Clara Vanguard - The music has really stuck with me and I've sought out various unsupported places to listen again. Every listen I like the music more.

Blue Knights - I love their trippy approach. The kind of show that bears repeat viewings.

OUT OF MY SEAT MOMENT

Cavaliers - The final three hits/mosh pit rush to the front. I was second row on the 50 and it was INTENSE being right in front. The looks on the faces of the members was reminiscent of the dominating Cavaliers corps of 15 years ago. I was out of my seat before I realized what was happening!

KUDOS TO ALL

All the kids performed fantastic. I appreciate everyone that participates, attends, supports, and loves this activity.

• Like 1

FAVORITE SHOW OF THE SEASON
Bluecoats - As much as I loved the past two years shows, this one they put it all together. I think the music choices were PERFECT and gave them an awesome foundation to build a fantastic visual performance upon.

This is most interesting, because, unlike in 2014 and 2015, Bluecoats' staff indicated that this year, they selected their visual motif before choosing the music.