Things they have nailed, Things they can improve

watch the show. marching was pathetic. Then at reatreat they couldn't even form blocks.

bandwagon fans oh brother

Bluecoats had a couple of moments of clarity issues. Pathetic is a harsh way to put it. Bluecoats were way more exposed, their show drill wise was much more difficult and their content was much more dense than the other two teams. I believe your critique comes more from a bitterness that your favorite team didn't win.

Edited by ashyUechi
  • Like 5

watch the show. marching was pathetic. Then at reatreat they couldn't even form blocks.

bandwagon fans oh brother

No bandwagon fan here, either. Exposure was incredible - white pants, white shoes, speed to kill, body movement like no one else. Let's get dome things straight. You don't win DCI by marching pathetically. It doesn't happen. I've judged for many years and I know several of the DCI visual judges and none of them said anything close to pathetic, bad or even mildly not good.

I love it when someone can't get their own focus off from something they saw early in the season and just can't wrap their head around that things get better and people improve. They see it once and that's the opinion that they keep, no matter what.

Bluecoats had a couple of moments of clarity issues. Pathetic is a harsh way to put it. Bluecoats were way more exposed, their show drill wise was much more difficult and their content was much more dense than the other two teams. I believe your critique comes more from a bitterness that your favorite team didn't win.

Oh boy. Bluecoats had more difficult drill than Crown? Nice one.

I do believe the deserved the win, but absolutely not from visual performance.

The difficulty of the drill, however, shouldn't be the basis for the visual performance score. Although it has to be factored in to some extent, the point of the score is to grade the ability of the performers to execute the visual program. If a show is too hard for the performers and they can't execute it cleanly, then that should be reflected in the score. It would be unfair for a corps with extremely difficult drill that the members couldn't execute well (resulting in a show that isn't as entertaining) they shouldn't place higher than a corps with drill written to the ability of the performers that was performed well-- at least, not in the visual score.

- I stand by my point. Bluecoats are covering way more distance than Crown.

The difficulty of the drill, however, shouldn't be the basis for the visual performance score.

- I agree and I never said this.

Although it has to be factored in to some extent, the point of the score is to grade the ability of the performers to execute the visual program. If a show is too hard for the performers and they can't execute it cleanly, then that should be reflected in the score.

- Clarity enhances vocab. The Bluecoats vocab was very evident and thus performed at a very high level for it to be evident. Placing 2nd, 2nd and 1st in VP. They did come 3rd is VA which is a different sheet. Are you commenting on VP or VA?

It would be unfair for a corps with extremely difficult drill that the members couldn't execute well (resulting in a show that isn't as entertaining) they shouldn't place higher than a corps with drill written to the ability of the performers that was performed well-- at least, not in the visual score.

- I agree but how often does this happen? More often than not the corps with the better show that is performed well enough wins. BD 07, not as precise as Cadets but the champion non the less. Cadets 2011 was very dirty visually. Yet, they won visual and the championship. They had a better show.

Edited by ashyUechi

Bluecoats -

NAILED

- Music to get the watcher hooked

- Designing a show that sticks out

MEH

- Maybe a show with a little more artistic substance ( Jesus, I'm such a snob )

- Maybe it was just me, or maybe the Atlanta performance was a 'meh' performance to y'all (we all have those) but I was honestly really underwhelmed.

Blue Devils -

NAILED

- Visual still superb. Masters of execution.

- Always love the show concept

MEH

- Okay, as much as I love the show concept, maybe pick a show where the topic doesn't require an IQ in excess of 115 to grasp (Yes, that's pretty average, and yes, that's where I'm pegging it)

- This year, the ending half of the show never gave me that "ahhh" moment. It felt like all of those moments were reserved for the first half.

Crown -

NAILED

- BRASS BRASS BRASS BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS

- Really getting good at this storytelling style - I love it!

MEH

- You're catching up in percussion. Look to dominate.

- Mix the formula up a bit. It's like the last 3 years have been the exact same show but with different characters.

SCV -

NAILED

- Execution was stellar across the charts. What I'd expect from the non-blue Cali Corps.

- p e r ccuuuss i i i i i ooonnnnn

MEH

- The show theme was very generic, imo.

- That's really the only thing I can really harp on.

note: my opinions, feel free to disagree, but if you whine I won't read

The difficulty of the drill, however, shouldn't be the basis for the visual performance score. Although it has to be factored in to some extent, the point of the score is to grade the ability of the performers to execute the visual program. If a show is too hard for the performers and they can't execute it cleanly, then that should be reflected in the score. It would be unfair for a corps with extremely difficult drill that the members couldn't execute well (resulting in a show that isn't as entertaining) they shouldn't place higher than a corps with drill written to the ability of the performers that was performed well-- at least, not in the visual score.

Visual scores are broken up into two halves, content and achievement, so actually the difficulty IS one basis of the visual performance score. This is a good thing because if corps aren't rewarded for the content of what they are doing they could just march 8 to 5 back and forth across the field and get perfect visual scores.

• Like 2

Guess the judge was in their pocket.

No. Unfortunately marching seems to take a back seat to "staging" and "body movement", both relatively much easier than marching.

• Like 1