$.02

What is "old school" ??? pre-DCI, 70's, 80's, 90's, last century, this century. DCI is approaching 50 years which is double the lifetime of current marchers.

Edited by fireshane1

What is "old school" ??? pre-DCI, 70's, 80's, 90's, last century, this century. DCI is approaching 50 years which is double the lifetime of current marchers.

When I marched in '97-'98, we thought the guys who marched in the '70's were old school, and the guys that marched in the pre-DCI era were "ancient." Lol.

I guess that means the 90's are old school now and the 70's are ancient.

Edited by fireshane1

" Old School " is that period of time when " real Drum Corps" used woodwinds ( Fifes ),... not all these radical, blasphemous brass instruments.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Sigh; if only the controversial changes were driven by the artistry.

But they're not.

- Bb

- Electronics

- unlimited instrumentation

- 150 mms

- "Champions" shows

- proposed 180 mms

- proposed woodwinds

- proposed fall season

- proposed direct band vs corps competition.

...NONE were proposed or adopted in order to advance the artistry; all have been the brainchild of a single deranged micro-manager bad with money, and so desperate for more.

Don't fool yourself.

Advance the activity? Nah. Make money; to the detriment of the activity.

" Old School " is when " real Drum Corps" used Woodwinds ( Fifes ), not all these radical, blasphemous brass instruments.

This point always gets me when the discussion of woodwinds and strings come in.

I mean, what about the gut snares on rope drums back in the day?? Why make a big deal about the use of strings now? :-D

This point always gets me when the discussion of woodwinds and strings come in.

I mean, what about the gut snares on rope drums back in the day?? Why make a big deal about the use of strings now? :-D

There never seems to be enough rope, imo.

• Like 2

You're delusional if you really think that 99% of the "Old Timers" (T-Rex's) are paying money to watch "Marching Broadway Musical Theater" on a football field. It's mostly high school and college marching band kids and their parents. Former "Old School" Corps members and fans are so turned off at the current state of the art that they're not going anywhere near a show...........

And with all roads leading to Indy every year there are no longer any shows anywhere many of us old timers (for me nearest is a 5-hr one way trip. Used to be one within 45 min but now we are too far off the beaten path).

As an older fan (65) who marched during the 1960s, I view it all like this . . . .

Today, Drum Corps International participants are required to display a range of talent and skills greater than ever before. The thrill of seeing how each new group meets this challenge is what keeps me interested and excited going forward. The pursuit of excellence must never stop!

(fellow oldsters, try the DCI-Live package)

• Like 7

Drum corps is process, not product

/thread

• Like 2

Sigh; if only the controversial changes were driven by the artistry.

But they're not.

- Bb

- Electronics

- unlimited instrumentation

- 150 mms

- "Champions" shows

- proposed 180 mms

- proposed woodwinds

- proposed fall season

- proposed direct band vs corps competition.

...NONE were proposed or adopted in order to advance the artistry; all have been the brainchild of a single deranged micro-manager bad with money, and so desperate for more.

Don't fool yourself.

Advance the activity? Nah. Make money; to the detriment of the activity.

Hmmm. Have to disagree with you there.

Bb-- vastly improved tuning=louder (yes, I said it) and easier on members who are used to Bb instruments.

Electronics-- Mallet players no longer have to use horrible technique to be heard, soloists don't need to be on the front sideline to be heard, while I'm not a huge fan of electronic noise use in show, I suppose it gives arrangers a bigger "palette" to choose from, and some of the effects are cool.

150mms-- Lots more than that show up to audition... and now you get bigger guards...

"Championship" shows-- ok, I'll give you that this is more of a marketing thing.

Various proposed things-- Can't say I'm onboard with most of those, but they're proposals...

I think that Bb and Amplification directly advanced the artistry, and certainly a case could be made that Electronics does the same.

Even if one particular person proposed these changes, that person needed to get other corps on board to to make them.