$.02

I will always think 1980 was the greatest year in drum corps. Why? The corps were great and competition tough. I also had my driver's license and had proven to my parents I was responsible so they let me drive to out of town shows, and I have great memories of friends in the stands. It also looked as if I might match in a corps the following season (it fell through) and when I watch the 1980 Legacy DVD, I go back in time.

I will always think the best years of drum corps were the mid to late 80's.

I am in many ways an old schooler at heart, but I love what I see today, admire the talent, and cannot believe what I saw last week in Indy.

You can still be attached sentimentally to the drum corps of your youth, still think it was the greatest period and even argue your point convincingly, but if you miss out on what is happening now, you're really missing out. And if you want to see how some things have not changed, talk to kids who March today. Yes, kids are different because times are different, and specifics about the experience differ, but the heart, love, and dedication can in many cases still be found. If you don't believe me, stop at Yocco's in Allentown after DCI East. That's a great place to hear about experiences for those who march today. Oh wait, there's nothing there that doctors would approve of for those of us on blood pressure medicine or cholesterol meds.

I will always think 1980 was the greatest year in drum corps. Why? The corps were great and competition tough. I also had my driver's license and had proven to my parents I was responsible so they let me drive to out of town shows, and I have great memories of friends in the stands. It also looked as if I might match in a corps the following season (it fell through) and when I watch the 1980 Legacy DVD, I go back in time.

I will always think the best years of drum corps were the mid to late 80's.

I am in many ways an old schooler at heart, but I love what I see today, admire the talent, and cannot believe what I saw last week in Indy.

You can still be attached sentimentally to the drum corps of your youth, still think it was the greatest period and even argue your point convincingly, but if you miss out on what is happening now, you're really missing out. And if you want to see how some things have not changed, talk to kids who March today. Yes, kids are different because times are different, and specifics about the experience differ, but the heart, love, and dedication can in many cases still be found. If you don't believe me, stop at Yocco's in Allentown after DCI East. That's a great place to hear about experiences for those who march today. Oh wait, there's nothing there that doctors would approve of for those of us on blood pressure medicine or cholesterol meds.

I have to agree with you Tim. Those years of 1980-86 were special. Great music and innovation (for the time).

I was drawn to every corps performance back then, and couldn't wait for the next show. Now - there are only 3 or 4 corps I really care to see a second time.

2016 had LOTS of athleticism, color and sound... but not much that was engaging to me as a fan.

What is "old school" ??? pre-DCI, 70's, 80's, 90's, last century, this century. DCI is approaching 50 years which is double the lifetime of current marchers.

When I marched in '97-'98, we thought the guys who marched in the '70's were old school, and the guys that marched in the pre-DCI era were "ancient." Lol.

I guess that means the 90's are old school now and the 70's are ancient.

Goodness, what does that make people like me who marched pre-DCI now????? :tounge2:

Single celled creatures from the primordial soup? :augen51:

• Like 1

I have to agree with you Tim. Those years of 1980-86 were special. Great music and innovation (for the time).

I was drawn to every corps performance back then, and couldn't wait for the next show. Now - there are only 3 or 4 corps I really care to see a second time.

2016 had LOTS of athleticism, color and sound... but not much that was engaging to me as a fan.

2016 to me an amazing year for drum corps, with great shows up and down the finishing order. I could watch just about EVERY show over and over.

Having said that....everybody knows that 1971 was the best year of drum corps. :tounge2:

(and not just because I marched in The Cadets that year) hmmmmmmm..... :cool:

• Like 3

pfft, you old timers don't know nothin' bout nothin'.

anybody who has been paying attention knows that 1992 was DCI's 'best ever, never been improved upon, all time' year.

geez, get with the picture, you dinosaurs :p

drum corps has been changing since it began. it's not going to stop

You're delusional if you really think that 99% of the "Old Timers" (T-Rex's) are paying money to watch "Marching Broadway Musical Theater" on a football field. It's mostly high school and college marching band kids and their parents. Former "Old School" Corps members and fans are so turned off at the current state of the art that they're not going anywhere near a show...........

I think this is a little overstated but not entirely so. I didn't miss a championship between my age out in the early '80s to 2009, and then the balance tilted more toward changes I didn't like. Haven't been to anything but a regional show since. A lot of my friends from my era feel the same. Not angry about it or anything...just not worth paying thousands of dollars to go to championships anymore.

Having been eligible to march from 2004-2013, and having marched 2009-2011(-ish), I definitely do not think the golden years were when I marched. Personally I think the late 80s-2004 were Drum Corps "golden age" as far as matching drill to music. Then again, I've always been a sentimental fellow.

As a new-timer, I still cringe a bit when I hear thunderous goo and mic'd solos, though having withdrawn from the activity this year, I found them quite tolerable and sometimes even enjoyable.

Edited by Barifonium

So, I've been reading the debates concerning the future of the Cadets, the direction Phantom Regiment (my corps from the the mid 90's), and the direction that corps are moving themselves to. Do I like everything I see on the field? No. But on the same breath, when I marched in '97-'98, and the old-timers would show me videos from the late 70's, I was sometimes less than impressed.

The glory days are always the days when we marched. Just human nature to remember the emotions, good times, and coming of age that we all experienced when we were marching members. Same feelings that these kids get today.

The point of this nonsensical rambling is to say that the drum corps world is changing, but it is also staying the exact same as it has always been. Will the old-timers like where things are heading vs how it used to be? No, not as a rule. But guess what, I, along with 99% of the old timers will continue to pay for a ticket to go to shows at either a state of the art venue or some rickety country high school stadium. Why? To see the fire in the eyes of the performer, and to support the activity that shaped who each and every one of us are.

Just my $.02.

Worth what you paid to read it.

I agree with the part about "nonsensical rambling". Aside from that:

- I am less than impressed by someone posting declarative statements as if fact, thinking that following it up with "just my $.02" gets them off the hook. If you want to post opinions, feel free... but use appropriate language, like "in my opinion", "IMO", or "I think".

- Curious what you were thinking when you said "99% of the old timers will continue to pay for a ticket". Based on my range of acquaintances, observations and attendance trends, I think some long-term fans stick around and some have left, with neither side anywhere near 99%. (Latest pertinent data on this was a survey commissioned by DCI where they found the average fan follows the activity for less than four years.)

- Yes, some aspects of drum corps change, while others stay the same. Therefore, IMO, we should expect some people to lose interest in it, while others remain. I think anyone who embraces change ought to accept that up front.

- No, the glory days are not always the days when you marched. It is a common sentiment, but not universal.

I agree with the part about "nonsensical rambling". Aside from that:

- I am less than impressed by someone posting declarative statements as if fact, thinking that following it up with "just my $.02" gets them off the hook. If you want to post opinions, feel free... but use appropriate language, like "in my opinion", "IMO", or "I think".

- Curious what you were thinking when you said "99% of the old timers will continue to pay for a ticket". Based on my range of acquaintances, observations and attendance trends, I think some long-term fans stick around and some have left, with neither side anywhere near 99%. (Latest pertinent data on this was a survey commissioned by DCI where they found the average fan follows the activity for less than four years.)

- Yes, some aspects of drum corps change, while others stay the same. Therefore, IMO, we should expect some people to lose interest in it, while others remain. I think anyone who embraces change ought to accept that up front.

- No, the glory days are not always the days when you marched. It is a common sentiment, but not universal.

Glad you feel better getting that off your chest. Another internet warrior getting angry. Glad you didn't "let me off the hook." I'm sure you're a blast at parties. Have a good day. I'll get off your lawn now. Edited by fireshane1