Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

6 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, I've watched that video about six times now, and it has to be said: the visual design is super lackluster. I see almost nothing that matches the INCREDIBLY well-designed and intense music book. Everything flows so stunningly musically and there is SO MUCH INSANE DEMAND....and I get none of that visually at this point. Maybe it's even more glaring following the last three years of visual magic? And I know it's super super early; however, drill design is drill design, and what I see is terribly ineffective (in my mind). As an example, BD had my absolute favorite drill moment last year: the entire ballad matched that gorgeous Valezquez movie piece F**KING PERFECTLY. Starting the movement backhash behind the scaffolding, ending on the front sideline in the company front, the swirling and unfolding and spiraling in the middle, the guard reaching upwards to match that massively exposed impact perfectly....I mean, sheer brilliance. That whole middle movement should be used in classes on how to match drill to music in an utterly perfect way. I don't see anything resembling that same brilliance in this design. It lacks forward movement, purpose, intent, and, honestly, difficulty. 

BUT. I know it's been said many times that BD has an incredibly unique style of learning drill that sort of builds on itself? Is that what happens here, and the last few seasons' visual ingenuity also started out in similar slow fashions?? Or, people more familiar with the design, PLEASE feel free to correct me and tell me what I'm missing in the video!! The brass & percussion book is an absolute insane monster....in fact, I'm going to go ahead and boldly assert that this is a more demanding music book than any corps has put out in recent years. And the visual design just does nothing for me to match that. I mean, truly, the visual design at this point shows the structure of an egg laid, not a home run. So what am I missing?? There's got to be something.

That ballad you're referencing changed throughout the season too. I agree with your assessment, but I'm gonna wait and see what kind of changes they make over the next month

BD's design team has never given me a reason to doubt them

• Like 5

5 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I feel you. 

I always feel this way about BD's visual design in June, though. Just gotta assume they'll build build build. 

Honestly, though, after seeing Bloo's show, I'm pretty shook. I know BD's gonna bring it, but... BD better bring it. 

Oh they will bring it 

• Like 3

Having seen the how it certainly is not gonna best Bluecoats or Carolina and someone might even sneak them out of the top 3 this year you never know.

9 minutes ago, smiler said:

Having seen the how it certainly is not gonna best Bluecoats or Carolina and someone might even sneak them out of the top 3 this year you never know.

If i got a nickle for every time i heard this..........

• Like 7

Yeah let's not get carried away quite yet; even objectively inferior (by BD standards) BD shows medal. I'm not that worried on that front. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, smiler said:

I'm not sure you saw the same show I did....

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, smiler said:

Maybe you need to watch the show again.

• Like 1

If last year's show didn't even get 3rd, there's no way this show isn't going to medal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smiler said:

Your alone on that! You obviously have no clue on Blue Devils. Are we looking at the same show by the way. Cause its awesome monster bones, a meat monster of a show to unravel.

• Like 2