Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

28 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I love modern drum corps with a passion but I also love some tasty design as well. The fact that I find something ugly does not a Luddite make me.

I've rarely seen a negative post from you regarding BD, and yes, you're right. It is a generational issue. If a difference of opinion is proffered then it is immediately seen as a personal attack and labeled as hate speech. You, among others, have legitimate points about the costuming, the instrumentation, the choreography, and the amplification pervading DCI, and voicing that opinion doesn't automatically make someone a "Luddite." Yet, it seems those who support these institutions financially are increasingly marginalized in the manner as the drum major's chronological snobbery. Don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong, and you have a right to your opinion much to the chagrin of those who thumb their noses to the past greats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPK said:

Maybe the "young people" who view these forums are sick and tired of being criticized for participating in the evolution of an activity we all love equally. Having known CC for years, he is not one to be afraid of sharing is opinion and I have a feeling that the people getting upset about this are the ones who know on the inside he means them. Anytime young people fight back against criticizing old people it's always "agist" and "ungrateful". No, this time it's just correct. 

I don't see it as a young versus old thing though. I just felt it wasn't a classy way to represent your organization.

Even if you feel that way, you don't say that to the world.

...and what is old anyway? 25? 12? 30?  Young is relative to how old one is at the time...

...and then there are some people who feel that the organization is a little bit like this anyway, so his comment feeds into that too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btown50 said:

Should he have said it a different way? Yes but it seems to be criticism almost every year. At some point, the criticism gets to a level where you cant take it anymore. This seems to be a generational division that will only grow. Not everyone will have the same taste, but the activity seems to be moving away from what it was when it was founded. 

Totally agree that there is a generational division which goes beyond drumcorps.

It's big news. Millennials can't find great jobs as easily as their parents.  They're faced with outrageous student debt compared to their parents.  They can not buy houses as early as their parents were able to buy houses.  They tend to stay at home with their parents longer than any generation before them.  They also feel entitled.  They get upset because they've bought into a system and done the things that they were told to do in order to be successful, but they're not, or they're not climbing as fast up the job situation as they thought they should be.

So, yea, there's a division.  They feel cheated by the previous generations.

I'm not sure that they realize that their parents have spent much of their lives in recessions and has suffered as much as them.  Graduate high school into a recession. Graduate college into another recession.  Graduate with a master's degree into another dot com recession.  Then there's the last great recession of 2008 where a bunch of people lost much of their savings.  Oh, and remember that many old people have a butt-load of student load debt too.

So, yea, I'm sure there's a lot for everyone to be upset about...  ....just try not to be a dick about it...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, flammaster said:

For a drum major representing and international organization basically insulting the age of the hand that feeds them?

Ungrateful!  I am utterly disgusted!

As an alum, I think it's hilarious, and not in any way in poor taste.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

As recently as at this time last summer. 

Me too.  I first got heavily invested into DCI last summer (watched plenty of videos, but still didn't know much about anything else).  A friend of mine made a comment wondering if MCDC was affiliated MCM at all.  I responded "I dont know"  (I know they arent now, dont judge me).  Then in between the next corps transition I got chewed out by an elderly fellow in front of us "because we were assuming things".  Ok.  It actually turned me off to going to shows for awhile. 

Edit: I realize things could have gone much worse.  It just really pegged me the wrong way.  All the other activities and hobby's Im invested in I had never been chewed out because I was uninformed.  Generally Im just corrected.  Its whatever.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

I clicked on a Blue Devils thread and a Cadets thread broke out. 

* sitting back and reading DCP..............:111_nail_care:

• Like 1