Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

44 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I think 2011 was the worst when they ran past the Cavaliers after San Antonio, then took first in Atlanta. I sat back and laughed my *** off. Never in my life had i seen so many adults crying ******** and moaning. 

And that was their "accessible" show!

Just heard a recording of the show from a few days ago. It was shot close to the field so musical details that were fuzzy/a mush in other recording really came out well. 

Like someone else mentioned, they've added some trumpet reverb into the opening drum feature. I also noticed some minor changes in transitions (musically, the recording wasn't too great on the visual side), and a new "Diamonds" voiceover in the closer that ties in an awkward gap that was there before (on another note, I hope BD's gotten licensing rights to that song, I'd hate to see it cut out of DCI's official recordings since it's such a big part of the show now)

This was the first time I could actually hear the closer with all its minute details and I really like the mood it creates (kinda majestic, triumphant). The trumpet solo reprise still isn't coming out too well (on video atleast) because of how insanely high it is. 

So far on the musical side, there haven't really been too many changes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

This was the first time I could actually hear the closer with all its minute details and I really like the mood it creates (kinda majestic, triumphant). The trumpet solo reprise still isn't coming out too well (on video atleast) because of how insanely high it is. 

I would argue its not because of how high it is.  I feel like there is some double g's in the lead's hidden within the phat chords surrounding those solo's.  The notes are around the same pitch and the solo's are getting drowned out.  They are using the mic's to counteract that, but when you have a hornline as smoking loud as this one, I dont think it does quite enough.  To add to that though, I think the solo's in there are more for texture than to actually be heard, so it might be what they are going for.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I would argue its not because of how high it is.  I feel like there is some double g's in the lead's hidden within the phat chords surrounding those solo's.  The notes are around the same pitch and the solo's are getting drowned out.  They are using the mic's to counteract that, but when you have a hornline as smoking loud as this one, I dont think it does quite enough.  To add to that though, I think the solo's in there are more for texture than to actually be heard, so it might be what they are going for.

The texture thing is what I was thinking too. It would make sense

• Like 2

I saw the show just yesterday. I understand Metamorph is about the evolution of drum corps (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I think it'd be really cool if they could pull off starting the show on G bugles and then switching later on.

Just a concept.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MOS3 said:

I saw the show just yesterday. I understand Metamorph is about the evolution of drum corps (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I think it'd be really cool if they could pull off starting the show on G bugles and then switching later on.

Just a concept.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest g bugle fan in the world ( That doesnt mean I hate them, Im from a different time.  Also, tuning is a thing).  That being said I am SOOOOO down.  I would prefer they used the B flats Vance (I think that was his username) makes.  I can only dream of the sound.

Edit:  That would be-

Image result for hype gif

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MOS3 said:

Just a concept.

I really hope they perform some metamorphosis on their drill more than anything. It's looking "ugly caterpillar" right now. Needs more "beautiful butterfly". .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Honestly, I'm not the biggest g bugle fan in the world ( That doesnt mean I hate them, Im from a different time.  Also, tuning is a thing).  That being said I am SOOOOO down.  I would prefer they used the B flats Vance (I think that was his username) makes.  I can only dream of the sound.

Oh, those you mean those Andelucia brass.  I know Ayala HS used those last year, as well as Raiders DBC ( I'm about 90% on this one).

..and I understand about not being a fan of G bugles, but have you ever heard a full G line?  Oh those overtones ( which only happen where there's tuning) were glorious! They're not as prevalent in today's lines.  Yea, the quality of the instruments weren't the greatest though, but they were improving all the time. That was simply the function of not having enough scale for instrument makers to put in a lot of time getting the instruments right.  Now that they're all on Bb's we have the benefits of scale ( every musical unit around uses concert instruments), so the quality is top notch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh, those you mean those Andelucia brass.  I know Ayala HS used those last year, as well as Raiders DBC ( I'm about 90% on this one).

..and I understand about not being a fan of G bugles, but have you ever heard a full G line?  Oh those overtones ( which only happen where there's tuning) were glorious! They're not as prevalent in today's lines.  Yea, the quality of the instruments weren't the greatest though, but they were improving all the time. That was simply the function of not having enough scale for instrument makers to put in a lot of time getting the instruments right.  Now that they're all on Bb's we have the benefits of scale ( every musical unit around uses concert instruments), so the quality is top notch.

YES, in the right hands, those G bugles produced a sound like no other brass experience of this amount of players. It was searing, exciting to the senses. I doubt if amps were even a consideration then. Even a Soprano soloist in the back corner cut through to everyone in the grandstand. Ah, memories of the legendary Hy Dreitzer at the controls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I think its Andalucia (not trying to be rude, just trying to clarify if someone wanted to look them up).   Yeah, Vance claimed in his old thread they slot better and have way better tuning.  Arturo Sandoval did a few videos with them as well.   There is a reason Raiders and Ayala have had such big sounds, these bugles are the reason.

To be fair, I havent heard a live bugle line.  I could support them making a return, if they were able to:

1. Keep consistency up

2. Keep costs down

3. Make them easy enough to obtain

4. Fix tuning issues

I would like it if they were used similar to how trombones are used now.  March a whole section of the horns for part of a show, then switch back out.  Someone made a post on Reddit recently about how bugles gave each corps an identity.  That is very much something I could support in modern drum corps.  Each corps had a different tone, and it was very noticeable, whereas now, we can only tell hornlines by the music they play, not the way they play the music.  Which is something that I do think is very desirable about bugles.  This is very much a rabbithole I dont want to contaminate this thread with though.

• Like 1