Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

29 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Oh,VERY nice!   Good experience!

I only marched one year, 1984.   If you watch that show, at around the 53 second mark you get the first field level shots.   I'm the 3rd soprano to go past the cameras...full beard and glasses.

And that was my ONLY Jr corps show...I was a rook-out not only to BD, but to the whole activity!

I have 7 other shows under my belt from 3 other corps....but I am first, foremost, and ALWAYS a Blue Devil!

Can I find that show on YouTube? That is awesome! I love how the alumni are still so involved.. So supportive of the corps..seeing it at rehearsals and lots is just the best thing! 

2 minutes ago, Mamabear77 said:

Can I find that show on YouTube? That is awesome! I love how the alumni are still so involved.. So supportive of the corps..seeing it at rehearsals and lots is just the best thing! 

YouTube no...I've only found our concert number "La Fiesta."

However....there IS a Japanese site that has the full show...I'll PM you the link.

4 minutes ago, Mamabear77 said:

There has been a concerted effort in the last few years to really grab the alumni. There has always been a core group, but people like Chris Gomez have been active about attracting the alumni to get involved again. Memorial Day was once the end of a long camp weekend. Now it is an event where many come to watch. Family Day was a show for a few hours. Now alumni come and spend all day watching rehearsals and horn blocks. LA shows are a party of their own. They always have been, but they are getting bigger each year (I hope to make it down next year).

Social media has helped, and there are some selfish reasons (like more willing donors), but the real benefit has been an expanded and more vocal fan base...getting bigger every day.

I almost forgot to mention...no only is the staff great with fans and alumni, but the corps members are as well. Few things are better for us old timers than being able to "talk shop" with these "kids."

• Like 2

Mama Bear, don't let the hate get to you. It's been going on for a long time and comes with the territory of being at the top of the competitive heap. We heard variations of these same lame excuse "waaah" factor arguments 35 years ago... "their show isn't as hard as" (fill in the blank corps), "all they do is play easy ride cymbal parts" yada yada...   BD wears all the carping as a badge of honor and does their talking on the field - As we sometimes used to say ... FYWW

• Like 4

In case you haven't seen this one yet. I believe it is the first "cam" perspective of the season. I'm so over the carping about how they "don't move." As this clearly shows, when they run, they run faster, farther (and smoother) than just about anyone else. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

In case you haven't seen this one yet. I believe it is the first "cam" perspective of the season. I'm so over the carping about how they "don't move." As this clearly shows, when they run, they run faster, farther (and smoother) than just about anyone else. 

Show Mr. @Treefidy and his "SCV's show is so much harder" high horse 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Show Mr. @Treefidy and his "SCV's show is so much harder" high horse 

Oh I already blocked him. LOL I give the negative fragile blossoms a wide berth. Who has time for that crap?

What I find so amusing about the whole "stopwatch" dustup is 10 years ago, a gang was applying the same argument to knock the Cavaliers, claiming they never marched and played at the same time. Now a few misguided SCV superfans are turning their stopwatches on BD.

And who created SCV's show this year? A lot of the same people responsible for the design of the "never march and play" Cavaliers' championship shows. LOL So ironic and ridiculous. 

Smart designers (and BD's are the smartest) create shows that will showcase both music and movement for their maximum quality and impact. Marching in a show and saying "I know how I did it was hard" is not a perspective to really understand overall effect and challenge. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

What a fun show!!!  That looks like such a blast to perform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mamabear77 said:

Reading this makes my heart so happy!! My son is on the Snareline.. I love seeing comments like this! Thank you for sharing!! 

Being in the BD snare line was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.  I know your son will enjoy his time there.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Oh,VERY nice!   Good experience!

I only marched one year, 1984.   If you watch that show, at around the 53 second mark you get the first field level shots.   I'm the 3rd soprano to go past the cameras...full beard and glasses.

And that was my ONLY Jr corps show...I was a rook-out not only to BD, but to the whole activity!

I have 7 other shows under my belt from 3 other corps....but I am first, foremost, and ALWAYS a Blue Devil!

You only marched one show? Who did you kneecap to take their spot for finals? :laughing: