Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

My first year seeing the Blue Devils was 1982.  From that point, I was hooked!  In honor of BD's win tonight, and their 60th anniversay, a recap of my years as a TOTAL BD Homer fan/donor:

1982: TO, Pegasus Wings (saw them again this year!), One More Time Chick Corea (now my third favorite "concert" feature) :)  #5

1983: Everybody Loves the Blues!  High Drums!

1984: Two words: La Fiesta (now my third favorite "concert" feature)

1985: Two more words: First Circle!   Amazing

1986: One word: Unparalleled #6

1987: Loved Fanfare for the New and Harlem

1988: Should have won.  Madison was awesome and all, but....  :)

1989: It takes real bxlls to attempt those notes as a soloist :)

1990: Scott Chandler's first BD guard.   Tommy was awesome awesome awesome

1991: Stan Kenton -- one of the most difficult horn books ever put on the field

1992: Everyone talks about "When a Man Loves a Woman"  I remember the opening groove and hit

1993: RAIN on Finals night.   Strawberry Soup!

1994: Oh wow .. opening number with the saber feature.  Pure character #7

1995: Should have won!  :)

1996: There we go! :) Opening and closing hits were LOUD! #8

1997: Virtuoso performance.  Brilliant and classy Casablanca #9

1998: Should have won, like they did in quarters!  Loved the WSS/R&J arranging.  Guard was particularly outstanding

1999: A tie that brought a smile to my face.  Favorite moment: Swing number #10

2000: One of my favorite music books

2001: Awayday Blue!  Great style

2002: They struggled out the gate.  Big rewrites.  Came back STRONG to take second only to a special Cavies corps

2003: COOL #11

2004: TRAIN -- one more week and they had 007 cornered...

2005: Ugh -- I have to say .. the ONLY year as a fan I could just not wrap my heart around a BD show.  That trumpet soloist (same as 2004) was off the hook

2006: Low brass hit after intro of main theme.  Pure bliss!

2007: More of those wings!  The opening minute, Pegasus and the closing hit with Beethoven's Ninth.  Drum majors' tears.  Pure joy  #12

2008:   ok ..... S H O U L D   H A V E  W O N!!!!!   beat by pure emotion (and a stadium full of fans begging for an upset).   What doesn't kill you....

2009: ....makes you STRONGER! Opener was pure class.  Loved adding Rhapsody in Blue in the closer #13

2010: Stunning.  Bizarre.  Mirrors #14

2011: Lyrical. Do you know the wayyyy to San Joseeee  :) Lost to an amazing Cadets show (last time Cadets showed true innovation in design for me...)

2012: Stunning.  Bizarre.  Dada.  :) #15

2013: Loved the execution.  Only liked the book.  Lost to an amazing Crown show.   

2014: Pure execution and emotion wrapped up in a perfect design.   GOODWIN!!!!!!  More more more! #16

2015: This show grew and grew and.... penalty in quarter!   Crown was outdueling!  semis...  then a reminder for everyone:  NO ONE can bring it on Finals Night like BD! #17

2016: My first year attending Finals.  My favorite moment was attending BD's rehearsal in the Colts indoor facility.  Mind was blown by the sheer professionalism and TALENT  (and VOLUME!)  Loved the trombone GLISSSSSSSANDOS!

2017:  My new FAVORITE Concert number!   Forget traditional drills.   Has anyone been more MOVED by this ballad???  Moment of the decade for me.  Brought tears.  #18!!

2018:  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bgg80
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, desertrat68 said:

In case anyone is wondering, I was crying the second half of the closer and sobbing for 5 minutes after. So, so, so happy for my Blue Devil. 

I am so happy for you.  I believe this will end up being a legendary show.

• Like 3

Everyone go back and read my original post when i started this thread last year. Can you say "CALLED IT!" Everything i said was spot on. Including last years champs not medaling. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

My first year seeing the Blue Devils was 1982.  From that point, I was hooked!  In honor of BD's win tonight, and their 60th anniversay, a recap of my years as a TOTAL BD Homer fan/donor:

1982: TO, Pegasus Wings (saw them again this year!), One More Time Chick Corea (now my third favorite "concert" feature) :)  #5

1983: Everybody Loves the Blues!  High Drums!

1984: Two words: La Fiesta (now my third favorite "concert" feature)

1985: Two more words: First Circle!   Amazing

1986: One word: Unparalleled #6

1987: Loved Fanfare for the New and Harlem

1988: Should have won.  Madison was awesome and all, but....  :)

1989: It takes real bxlls to attempt those notes as a soloist :)

1990: Scott Chandler's first BD guard.   Tommy was awesome awesome awesome

1991: Stan Kenton -- one of the most difficult horn books ever put on the field

1992: Everyone talks about "When a Man Loves a Woman"  I remember the opening groove and hit

1993: RAIN on Finals night.   Strawberry Soup!

1994: Oh wow .. opening number with the saber feature.  Pure character #7

1995: Should have won!  :)

1996: There we go! :) Opening and closing hits were LOUD! #8

1997: Virtuoso performance.  Brilliant and classy Casablanca #9

1998: Should have won, like they did in quarters!  Loved the WSS/R&J arranging.  Guard was particularly outstanding

1999: A tie that brought a smile to my face.  Favorite moment: Swing number #10

2000: One of my favorite music books

2001: Awayday Blue!  Great style

2002: They struggled out the gate.  Big rewrites.  Came back STRONG to take second only to a special Cavies corps

2003: COOL #11

2004: TRAIN -- one more week and they had 007 cornered...

2005: Ugh -- I have to say .. the ONLY year as a fan I could just not wrap my heart around a BD show.  That trumpet soloist (same as 2004) was off the hook

2006: Low brass hit after intro of main theme.  Pure bliss!

2007: More of those wings!  The opening minute, Pegasus and the closing hit with Beethoven's Ninth.  Drum majors' tears.  Pure joy  #12

2008:   ok ..... S H O U L D   H A V E  W O N!!!!!   beat by pure emotion (and a stadium full of fans begging for an upset).   What doesn't kill you....

2009: ....makes you STRONGER! Opener was pure class.  Loved adding Rhapsody in Blue in the closer #13

2010: Stunning.  Bizarre.  Mirrors #14

2011: Lyrical. Do you know the wayyyy to San Joseeee  :) Lost to an amazing Cadets show (last time Cadets showed true innovation in design for me...)

2012: Stunning.  Bizarre.  Dada.  :) #15

2013: Loved the execution.  Only liked the book.  Lost to an amazing Crown show.   

2014: Pure execution and emotion wrapped up in a perfect design.   GOODWIN!!!!!!  More more more! #16

2015: This show grew and grew and.... penalty in quarter!   Crown was outdueling!  semis...  then a reminder for everyone:  NO ONE can bring it on Finals Night like BD! #17

2016: My first year attending Finals.  My favorite moment was attending BD's rehearsal in the Colts indoor facility.  Mind was blown by the sheer professionalism and TALENT  (and VOLUME!)  Loved the trombone GLISSSSSSSANDOS!

2017:  My new FAVORITE Concert number!   Forget traditional drills.   Has anyone been more MOVED by this ballad???  Moment of the decade for me.  Brought tears.  #18!!

2018:  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I became hooked in 86.  I totally agree about 08.

Congratulations BD. For once I freaking love your show, and am glad you got first 

• Like 2

So, so, SO happy for these kids! How much the show meant to them communicated more strongly than anything I'm seen from any corps EVER. So much joy. So much emotion. What a treat it has been to watch the journey.

The pressure of staying out in front had to increase exponentially each week, and they handled it without breaking a sweat. Truly remarkable people and organization. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I was gonna post this earlier but it just grew into what ended up being what I used as my review for 2017........

So.  In my infancy as a fan of the activity I was definitely off put by the Blue Devils.  Their shows were too confusing their shows were too easy blah blah.  I went through a ton of my time as a fan over almost the last decade annoyed when they would come out and go undefeated.  They were beating corps and shows I loved and it didn't seem like anyone else was being given a fair chance.  2014 I still felt the same way but they blew me away regardless.  2015 on finals night I loved a lot of other shows more but defended their win.  In 2016 I LOVED my Bluecoats riding high but began to really enjoy what Blue Devils had to offer, their ballad remains one of the moments I consider utter perfection in portrayal of a theme and visual staging.  Then this year happened.  I saw this show twice San Antonio week in Broken Arrow and San Antonio.  I was so close minded and had convinced myself that I was gonna hate it I didn't enjoy it.  Then they started adding things.  The voice overs.  Stuff started cleaning up.  Atlanta weekend.........they had me in tears at the end of their performance.  What this show transformed into..........it was an INCREDIBLY emotional, beautiful, and amazing tribute to where this corps came from, their roots and incredible legacy full of amazing references to their storied past.  It was an amazing display of who they are now with incredibly challenging staging and depth for me as an audience member to sort through.  And it was an AMAZING peak into the window of what this corps future could hold.  The thread of time throughout this show and how they paid tribute to their whole history is just...........incredible.  And I have no ties to the organization.  I can't imagine what this must be like for alums or MMs of this organization.  As a future educator the level they perform at in everything is staggering.......the clarity, professionalism, and expertise they do everything with blows my mind.  But when it's all said and done, when they hit that ballad tonight with that AMAZING flag feature, the INCREDIBLE music and soloists, and just overall marriage of that moment.........it left me speechless and weak.  2017 made me a Blue Devils fan.  Any hate and distaste I had is gone.  I have nothing but respect, admiration, and gratitude for what they did this year.  I'm just sad it took me this long to get here.  Congrats on #18 Blue Devils.  What a journey this was for me, I'm dying to see what 2018 has to offer and no more taking a whole season or years to come around to shows.  I'm a fan from the get go from now on.   

Great post. Welcome to the family.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeBD said:

I am so happy for you.  I believe this will end up being a legendary show.

My best guess is that this year won't be one of BD's legendary shows, though they certainly have plenty to their name.  For sure, their win this year is defensible, as would have been an SCV win.  No wrong answer among the top two.