What's missing in today's DCI...

People tend to favor what they have become used to. Change is often disliked without any sense of objectivity.

Some people also don't know any better and can't possibly have any objectivity.

I would ask how many people think some of the best music is left outside the stadium in the warm up arc.......

I think it did sometimes, but not because of of the warm-up.

The Star Wars bit was followed later in the show by the theme from Star Trek with it's jazzy interpretation. Frank Dorrittie, most recent DCI HoFer, had much to do with that hornline then.

When I think of star Wars I always seem to remember this...

• Like 1

after 45 years I like all eras of drum corps. I like the sound of a drum set through a really well mic'd PA and I also loved how a tenor bass drummer and cymbal would hold up their instruments for a snare drummer to play drum set during the concert piece.

Things change and if you learn to accept change even slowly it is more enjoyable.

Hey I even like marching band now.

I also miss the joint America-O-Canada after scores at finals. Despite all the naysayer's objection that it was never in tune and could never be tuned, and did not actually represent the "International" in DCI, the sheer amazement at the wall of sound was just plain fun to hear. Is there any other experience in life where one can hear over 1,000 horns playing together at once? Any? Is there any other part of drum corps where the best of today's corps come together to simply present a recognition unison "thank you" for the pure enjoyment of the fans? It is missing in modern drum corps, and missed by me.

You make some solid points here. It *is* fun to listen to so many horns playing at once. Having said that, at least when I marched, America/O'Canada was almost always a horrid mess. Like, embarrassing. About 20 lead sops hanging over every frickin release, sometimes like 10 counts over, (and not at the end of the piece, when it at least makes some sense) playing horribly out of tune... But it was "fun" I suppose. And having marched Regiment as a Buick, we at least had the pleasure of "tagging" the arrangement to include a bit of our show, that is until someone on staff heard it too clearly coming through the ensemble and we got yelled at. Take a listen, pay attention at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfMfcMxVII

"Those ramps are pretty."

This actually made me sit back in my chair and LMFAO.

"OH the olden days. sniff how I miss em."

They have other traditions now and I am sure you will never know what they are.

I was there. It wasn't Better then it is now. Just different.

So true - remember this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

• Like 1

Ah yes, "Dang! If they're THIS loud pointing away, just IMAGINE how powerful they'll be blowing at us from down front!"

Did you NEVER get those butterfly-tingles of excitement in your stomach?

Today, pre-show is more posing than power chords.

Sigh...

"Those ramps are pretty."

For BD yes. The imitators less so. However some of the pre-show stuff that now replaces it, like Crown many years, makes up for it.

And after sitting in BD's arc at quarters in 96, it can't be topped. Anything else would be a letdown

Whats missing?

1. Precision guard work - you know - marching and not prancing

2. Loud in your face hornlines

3. Unplugged ###### performances without gimmicks.

• Like 1