What's missing in today's DCI...

1996 at Charlotte Memorial Stadium and BD winning to play encore in horn arc... F tuning with 1996 Ditty and then that first hit of the opener was a "WOW" moment I will never forget. They played their entire show and just flat out pinned your ears back. BLOOOO does a pretty awesome encore at Massillon... mixture of show music and tradition in horn arc.

As to Pre-shows... if it is needed to set the mood... then why not judge it?

I would ask how many people think some of the best music is left outside the stadium in the warm up arc.......

Walking up the hill from the stands when PR begins playing some of their old stuff for encore. We turn to watch for a moment. Friend turns to me and say's, "Why don't they play that in their show?"

Lol

• Like 2

1996 at Charlotte Memorial Stadium and BD winning to play encore in horn arc... F tuning with 1996 Ditty and then that first hit of the opener was a "WOW" moment I will never forget. They played their entire show and just flat out pinned your ears back. BLOOOO does a pretty awesome encore at Massillon... mixture of show music and tradition in horn arc.

As to Pre-shows... if it is needed to set the mood... then why not judge it?

I agree . Just give each corps the full 18 min bucket and let them choose when to start and finish. Just enforce a minimum performance length.

• Like 2

A long time ago (80's maybe?) during the finals broadcast they would show a collage of videos taken on tour of various corps day to day activities. From bus shots to sleeping in the gym, eating, packing, and practicing, all backed by Willie Nelson singing "On the road again". It made you appreciate what these kids go through and if you went through it brought back pleasant memories.

• Like 3

Just give each corps the full 18 min bucket and let them choose when to start and finish. Just enforce a minimum performance length.

And they could hand the corps director a starter's pistol, which (s)he can use to indicate when to start the the judged portion of the show.

I agree . Just give each corps the full 18 min bucket and let them choose when to start and finish. Just enforce a minimum performance length.

Great idea.

But I'd be willing to bet that not many corps would use too much more than the minimum judged performance time.

Which would be fine with me. LOL.

And they could hand the corps director a starter's pistol, which (s)he can use to indicate when to start the the judged portion of the show.

Ugh, no. Why not simply have a staff member stand next to the T&P judge and have him signal when to start? You know, like they do now.

i'm all for arming corps directors. but only if we arrange for them all to be on the field at once. maybe while we're waiting for scores. the stands would NOT empty so quickly!

Edited by corpsband

Great idea.

But I'd be willing to bet that not many corps would use too much more than the minimum judged performance time.

Which would be fine with me. LOL.

the corps with elaborate pre-shows would. imo some of the most creative and enjoyable productions happen in pre-shows.