What's missing in today's DCI...

Back in the day the on-field warm-ups prior to the start of every show and post DCI championship activity in the parking lot was just as exciting as the shows themselves. So much so awards could've been designated for it. These sessions were recorded and distributed just like the shows.

Nothing pumped the crowd (and performers) like the wall of sound created by massive chord progressions and power ballads. Those warm-ups always set the tone for the show... unbelievable confidence builder! We would be so pumped at the end of those warm-ups that we felt like we could take on the world, and the faces on the guard were proof!

After DCI every corps would hit the parking lot and play their hearts out one last time to celebrate the season. Fans, staff and other corps would cheer on other corps. It was an unreal feeling.

Those were some awesome sounds and motivators missing from today's drum corps.

I agree with the OP.

The visceral reaction caused by on-field warm-ups BITD were implanted on my young DNA. It is missing in modern drum corps, and missed by me,

I also miss the joint America-O-Canada after scores at finals. Despite all the naysayer's objection that it was never in tune and could never be tuned, and did not actually represent the "International" in DCI, the sheer amazement at the wall of sound was just plain fun to hear. Is there any other experience in life where one can hear over 1,000 horns playing together at once? Any? Is there any other part of drum corps where the best of today's corps come together to simply present a recognition unison "thank you" for the pure enjoyment of the fans? It is missing in modern drum corps, and missed by me.

Like so many other parts of drum corps, these things are traditions in drum corps that are now gone. I find it interesting that some traditions of individual corps (ex: Cadets at retreat) are coming under scrutiny as well by some of the same DCP'ers who poo-poo tradition-appreciation posts of some legacy fans.

Perhaps DCP should change the rules of engagement to simply forbid any discussion of anything in the past of drum corps, and limit all discussion to only future-tense topics.

While facetious, I sure don't understand the sarcastic daggers thrown at those who show appreciation for some of the traditions of the activity. Good or bad, they were not universally loved or hated, but they were traditions. And they're gone from modern drum corps. Alas.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 6

ah yes 40 variations of F tuning and ditty lite.

Ah yes, "Dang! If they're THIS loud pointing away, just IMAGINE how powerful they'll be blowing at us from down front!"

Did you NEVER get those butterfly-tingles of excitement in your stomach?

Today, pre-show is more posing than power chords.

Sigh...

"Those ramps are pretty."

• Like 3

"OH the olden days. sniff how I miss em."

They have other traditions now and I am sure you will never know what they are.

I was there. It wasn't Better then it is now. Just different.

The commonality of the traditions the OP describes is that they both involved the fans both intellectually and emotionally.

As I think about today's programs I'm having a hard time coming up with similar traditions pre- and post-performance. Perhaps you can. What ARE today's drum corps traditions of which you speak?

But, if you have a similar difficulty, then the OP's post is accurate; those experiences are, in fact, missing from today's drum corps. And, despite him not even proclaiming that they should return, you wish to deny him the pleasure of his recollections. Why is that?

(And I'm having a hard time deciphering your last couple of sentences. Did you mean "...Better (sic) than it is now" or "It wasn't Better (sic) then, it is now."?) Yes, I recall my English grammar teacher (Mrs. Coleman) with the same fondness I get from recalling those fun traditions of drum corps. (And I'm not sure how to sniff how you reminisce...)

I was there, too, and, in many regards (and seemingly many posts), I disagree with your view.

Edited by garfield

There are actually people out there who will chastise drum corps fans on a site called Drum Corps Planet for doing both of the following at the same time.

1) loving drum corps from all eras

and

2) not thinking anything is missing today

It's surreal.

But there are actually people out there who will chastise drum corps fans on a site called Drum Corps Planet for doing both of THESE at the same time:

1) loving drum corps in the modern era

and

2) reminiscing about what he loved about drum corps from the past

Notice that the OP didn't even state that he wanted these traditions to return!

Unfortunately, many drum corps fans never experience the fun of the Planet, and describe it to their friends with indignation, because of the caustic treatment of new-poster recollections here.

Sigh... and alas.

Edited by garfield

And it's always the old guys #####ing

About the young guys growing beards

Or turning into sissies or something

While they're trying to hold back time

As if that isn't weird

Meanwhile the young guys are

Waiting for respect when what they wanna be is cool

Cool calm and collected just as if that isn't strange

Or they wanna blow the whistle, ring the bell and change the rules

When the game goes on forever

It's just the uniforms that change

I miss the smaller corps that were not quite Open Class, and those groups that would have been classified as A-60. I realize better school programs have filled this gap, and running a corps is expensive, but I miss seeing kids who are probably 12-16 and think they're the Blue Devils, smaller corps with huge heart, and the local flavor.