What's missing in today's DCI...

it's a trade-off.

i miss the trademark warm-ups. and mass finale. and retreats. and parading the stands.

but would the spine-tingling hit in Crown this year have nearly the impact if they hadn't set the mood with Ecstasy of Gold?

so -- love pre-shows too.

Oh, I don't disagree. But I wonder if the mood WOULD have been much different had they done a full-volume tuning chord set prior to setting up the opener.

I REALLY dislike the idea of today's "pre-show", but I really like the corps setting the mood of what's to come in the opening sets no matter what they call the time prior to the first timing gun shot.

?

Did get your tie in, except for space similarity. Do you like the piece you mention, was that it? i'm slow today.

Just that. A book. A decent read by a guy who was there and took the themes to build a teaching method that made so many horn lines what they are today.

That's all.

Cappy, perhaps we old-time DCP'ers are just prepared, and maybe a little defensive, because so many posts such as his do, in fact, intend to say it was better BITD. But his didn't, and it appeared as though a bunch of DCP-vets were piling on his post for an assumed reason. Not fair, IMO, and does little to attract new fans to the Planet, I believe.

I wonder about the psychology that would allow "younger" fans to be defensive about the feelings of someone who experienced something you didn't. It's possible that the Dinos are right and you have no basis at all to counter their claim, besides your defensiveness. See, we Dinos have experienced both the modern and the BITD, and some choose the BITD (I don't choose, so haters don't hate on me!)

I think, as I replied to another here, when you become one of the Dinos (it's not that far away!) you'll have the appreciation of perspective to understand those who have proclaimed their favorite in the "old days".

But again, that's not what this OP did, now was it?

People tend to favor what they have become used to. Change is often disliked without any sense of objectivity.

• Like 1

People tend to favor what they have become used to. Change is often disliked without any sense of objectivity.

There is so much hype around how we must embrace change and how it's awesome and all. But seriously, change is hard, it takes a lot of introspection, preparation, contemplation, and will-power as well IMO. I don't think people are opposed to change, they tend to become overwhelmed when there is too much change at once. I also think many folks display a "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. Could this be making them look like change haters?

• Like 2

There is so much hype around how we must embrace change and how it's awesome and all. But seriously, change is hard, it takes a lot of introspection, preparation, contemplation, and will-power as well IMO. I don't think people are opposed to change, they tend to become overwhelmed when there is too much change at once. I also think many folks display a "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. Could this be making them look like change haters?

As some poster previously said, not all change is good. The results or process may oppose, conflict, or actually produce results contrary to the anticipated or desired results.

Some "changes" are actually re-runs, that is new for a new generation but perhaps repeating challenges and approaches previous generations may have had to address and discard. That's where a sense of history may save one from re-inventing the wheel. However, new folks may have better successes with new times.

This series of obvious pre-statements but reflects life. Wisdom and its discernment come from experience and experience often includes mistakes which can become opportunities.

Some desire the opportunities, others fear them. May not too many lives be sacrificed in the making of the sausage which is successful drum corps design and a happy drum corps experience.

Change is inevitable, a natural progression. The problem is, as previously mentioned, when there is too much...or, if it's too complex or exotic. There seems to be too great of a push, by the more influential within DCI, to find the "next big thing" that will set them apart and leave the completion in the dust (both score wise and financial wise). This often results in not polishing or simply shelving the previous "big thing" as the spectators and some judges are still trying to wrap their arms around it, while the completion and/or less fortunate corps are over extending themselves too keep up with a select few spending their way into scoring bliss. While this may work to win, the competitive field will begin to diminish. I don't long for the olden days. I long for the innovation brought out by purity and simplicity. Cutting edge was arranging, drill writing, choreography and auditioning, unaided. Edited by Land_Surfer

When the backfield drum major or corps leader conducted the warm up chords, I was instantly pulled into a corps aura. The adrenaline kicked in at the Sight of Music.

It felt like the exaggerated arm motions opposite the grandstand were conducting me.

I welcome change yet appreciate the past.

I would ask how many people think some of the best music is left outside the stadium in the warm up arc.......

• Like 1