What's missing in today's DCI...

So true - remember this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Dang. I haven't been Rick rolled in a long time.

• Like 1

I have the hardest time making brown rice correctly in a saucepan.

The batch that I made today turned out just so-so.

I might just have to break down and buy a rice cooker.

On topic, a drum corps show about the health benefits of brown rice is missing.

• Like 2

Back in the day the on-field warm-ups prior to the start of every show and post DCI championship activity in the parking lot was just as exciting as the shows themselves. So much so awards could've been designated for it. These sessions were recorded and distributed just like the shows.

Nothing pumped the crowd (and performers) like the wall of sound created by massive chord progressions and power ballads. Those warm-ups always set the tone for the show... unbelievable confidence builder! We would be so pumped at the end of those warm-ups that we felt like we could take on the world, and the faces on the guard were proof!

After DCI every corps would hit the parking lot and play their hearts out one last time to celebrate the season. Fans, staff and other corps would cheer on other corps. It was an unreal feeling.

Those were some awesome sounds and motivators missing from today's drum corps.

I did like the on the field warmups and certainly liked them better than the current (Awkward) pre-show. If they want longer shows then have longer shows...why pre-show and than oh here is the actual show now.

I think if anything is missing from DCI shows today it is showmanship and just overall fun. Fans have responded very well to things related to showmanship and fun. Take last years Blue Stars. They did a circus theme and had some light fun moments the crowd ate up. Obviously some of the not so distant past Jersey Surf shows...crowd loved them.

Maybe all is not lost because the current DCI champion had more signs of showmanship and fun then any other very recent champion (See horn soloists leaning back wailing and horn soloist wink after his solo). Need more of this...... :)

Cappy, perhaps we old-time DCP'ers are just prepared, and maybe a little defensive, because so many posts such as his do, in fact, intend to say it was better BITD. But his didn't, and it appeared as though a bunch of DCP-vets were piling on his post for an assumed reason. Not fair, IMO, and does little to attract new fans to the Planet, I believe...

You make it sound so sinister - as if a decade of dinos trashing modern drum corps weren't typical of DCP.

Which it is. Which is why I'm on DCP so seldom these days. So many posts about the glories of the past. Or if not that, about the short-comings of today.

Yeah I loved the pre-show brass blast back in the day. And I really loved hearing Phantom send us home with Amazing Grace. But I know it's a package. The corps song at retreat came as part of an approach that I surely loved once and surely don't need repeated forever. This isn't loss; it's an exchange.

So yeah, I read the OP as belly-aching. I read it as more of the same DCP disrespect for drum corps now. I thought so because I can't see into the OP's heart. All I could see is what's been typed here. Here on DCP, on RAMD and AOL, Prodigy and Compuserve forums before that.

It's what we've been hearing in the stands since the 70s at least. We've all heard it. Today's drum corps isn't as good as it was back then, That's what they say. That's what they've been saying for too long.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

OK I've just quickly skimmed this thread and now want to know: why did the tradition of on field warm-ups disappear? Is there any chance it could ever be resurrected? It sounds wonderful.

because somebody figured out you could sneak an extra 90 seconds of performance into your show if you started your show before the salute. and then once one group was doing, everybody was doing it.

on-field were frequently a great experience. But some of the new pre-shows are pretty nice too...see Cadets 2011 (or Boston that same year).

of course now everybody is too busy moving props around and doing sound-checks to do any tuning.

I think if anything is missing from DCI shows today it is showmanship and just overall fun. Fans have responded very well to things related to showmanship and fun. Take last years Blue Stars. They did a circus theme and had some light fun moments the crowd ate up. Obviously some of the not so distant past Jersey Surf shows...crowd loved them.

Maybe all is not lost because the current DCI champion had more signs of showmanship and fun then any other very recent champion (See horn soloists leaning back wailing and horn soloist wink after his solo). Need more of this...... :)

See also the crowd reaction to Academy this year. Edited by StuStu

I agree.... 1,000 percent.

I am seeing that showmanship and "personality connection" returning to the DCI corps.... a good thing, IMO.

Ironically, I'm seeing less of it from several (not all) of the DCA corps, who used to own the showmanship thing. Not sure why that's changed.

Don't forget the BAC 12 pre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AnzvcZUiYc

This is my personal favorite Pines of Rome, yes even better than Star in 1991 and Cadets this past season. By admitting this am I spreading drum corps heresy and blasphemy, perhaps, but many blasphemers and heretics have been exonerated, granted it has taken centuries in some cases.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1