What's missing in today's DCI...

the corps with elaborate pre-shows would. imo some of the most creative and enjoyable productions happen in pre-shows.

But corps would have to weigh the risk/reward factor.

You can gain tenths... or lose them, depending on how well that "extra show time" is performed, for corps opting to do a longer judged show.

I do like the idea of the "here's your 18 minutes... perform however long you like (with a minimum time built in) and it's all judged"... but I still wonder how many corps would add, say, two or three more minutes of judged time to their programs.

But corps would have to weigh the risk/reward factor.

You can gain tenths... or lose them, depending on how well that "extra show time" is performed, for corps opting to do a longer judged show.

I do like the idea of the "here's your 18 minutes... perform however long you like (with a minimum time built in) and it's all judged"... but I still wonder how many corps would add, say, two or three more minutes of judged time to their programs.

there were years when i bet crown wished their pre-show got credit. some of their best stuff always seems to end up there.

but i agree - from a competitive aspect you can argue write for minimum time limit. less show to get clean. but hiding behind props certainly gives you similar benefit.

but i agree - from a competitive aspect you can argue write for minimum time limit. less show to get clean. but hiding behind props certainly gives you similar benefit.

Some year, maybe we'll see a corps do its entire show from behind props. The "Guess What's Back Here" production. It will be state of the art!!! LOL

• Like 1

This thread is an excellent read - maybe the good news is that since competitive success/perception inspired most all of the discussed traditions (either directly or indirectly), the corps are free to revisit any of these things when they think it "meets their needs." You could certainly make the case that a number of top corps revisited earlier traditions this season, and were rewarded for it!

Most things are cyclical in our activity, so the first to revisit a concept might be rewarded. The trick at the top is to stay in front of the curve.

Edited by Schnitzel

Retreat is what is missing at every show.

I'm not a big retreat fan. I think it should only be held at a few regional shows (like Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta) and at Finals. Right now it's only at Finals. Most shows I attend I am not in the mood to sit there and wait for all the corps to enter the field, then drum majors to the front, then scores, etc. After listening to 7 or 8 corps at a show I'm pretty fried and just want to get out, go grab some coffee and digest what I just saw, then right a review. I can get scores anywhere. I'm not that big into encore performances anymore either. Most of them seem to recycle music that I've already heard a corps play for eons...and frankly my ears need a break after 6 or 7 shows in a row.

Now, in fairness, I am 51 and have been around the activity a long time. I truly enjoy it to this day and love the shows. But I can only take so much of it.

I remember when the TOC started their little "club." Initially the idea was to provide entertainment before the show, during the show, after the show with combined-corps performances, etc. I thought to myself "what a horrible mistake." Let's just inundate people with too much of a good thing and overwork the performers who frankly need to be concentrating on their competitive show. Instead those kids were being used as cheap-labor entertainers where they had to work their a*** off before the show, during the show, and after the show. Yet, last time I looked at the numbers, it's the performers who are paying to be there, and mostly so they can march a competitive show -- not be used for someone else's agenda. It was a total sham.

Nothing like taking something good and beating it like a cheap drum. That's what TOC did that first year. You see how that ended up. Thankfully that crap is gone. Retreat wasn't quite that bad, but it's really not necessary at the smaller shows.

• Like 1

Retreat is what is missing at every show.

Yes! they should suffer just like we did!

• Like 1