THE ACADEMY 2017

Heard a rumor from a veteran from this past year that audition registration right now is "almost 5 times what it was last year". They had 300 come out for auditions last year so do the math. Almost 1500 registered as of now, three months away from first camps. Appalling.

How is that appalling?

How is that appalling?

Misunderstanding of the word. My bad. Thought it meant something more like shocked

• Like 1

It could be they meant 5x the number of registrations than at this point in time last year.

IMO this year's 11th place finish shows the indirect benefit of a fan-favorite like 2015's "Step In Time"; potential members are attracted to corps doing the shows they like.

Not sure it still applies, but apparently The Academy won't allow kids to audition if they are auditioning at another corps.

If so, I can't imagine that "all-in" attitude of the mm's resulting in anything but positive.

It could be they meant 5x the number of registrations than at this point in time last year.

IMO this year's 11th place finish shows the indirect benefit of a fan-favorite like 2015's "Step In Time"; potential members are attracted to corps doing the shows they like.

Not sure it still applies, but apparently The Academy won't allow kids to audition if they are auditioning at another corps.

If so, I can't imagine that "all-in" attitude of the mm's resulting in anything but positive.

I know many kids who have auditioned with The Academy in addition to other corps and have never heard of the exclusive audition requirement.

Edited by Nmjen

WSS, Phantom of the opera, the Planets, Appalachian Spring, and any Americana shows are on my personal "lol hell no" list haha

I suspect there's an Americana show out there I've not heard yet, but I absolutely agree with all of these, and I'll add Elsa's Procession and the 1812 Overture as well.

Facebook - Drew Guy
August 23 at 12:22pm ·
As of Sunday morning I have officially resigned from The Academy Drum & Bugle Corps. The last five years there have been wonderful and the last two years as Co Percussion Caption Head were extremely rewarding and filled with learning experiences that shaped me into the educator I have always wanted to be and I'm incredibly thankful for all of the students and staff that I had the honor to work with while I was there. I've debated leaving for the last three years because of professional differences and after the drum corps' success this past year I feel the time for me to move on has finally come. I look forward to what my future with DCI and WGI holds, even if it means there isn't one. There's not enough room in the activity for us all to become grumpy old farts about it

I know of one potential 2017 member who said "Book me a November flight to Tempe. This is great news!"

• Like 1

I know first hand that was not the case last year.

I know of one potential 2017 member who said "Book me a November flight to Tempe. This is great news!"

Wow, I thought the same! I know of someone who reached out one time for a bit of mentoring when he was young and got nothing. Luckily he found the right people soon after!

Edited by dreamgrantor