First Time I Met _______ Was.......

The first time I met Sandra Opie was at Soprano I&E in Birmingham in 1980. I was 13 years old & scared to death. My fondest memory of that day was the fact that after I performed, she gave me what amounted to a 15-minute private lesson, which I thought was just the coolest thing ever!

The first time I met George Zingali was the night of finals in Birmingham, also in '80. I wanted a good seat to see all of the Big Boys, so I decided to sit in the aisle on the 50, about 3/4 of the way up in the lower stands. When 27th came on, this crazy guy came running up the stairs & parked himself right behind me. Before they started, this nut leaned down over my shoulder and said, "Watch close, sonny, you're in for quite a show!"  He was right. 

3 years later, when I went to Garfield, I reminded him of this encounter from 3 years prior. For those that knew George, he let out his trademark Zingali cackle, and said, "Believe it or not, I do remember that!"

Pretty cool stuff!

On 9/13/2016 at 7:11 PM, Bucbari said:

My 1st horn instructor was the legendary Tommie "Bucky" Swan. Need I say more?

Same here, George... we were both quite fortunate.

Over the years, I become convinced that Tom Swan could teach any human being how to play a brass instrument and play it fairly well. His track record of taking local-circuit corps horn lines (Saints, Bridgemen, Black Watch, etc.) and turning them into national contenders speaks for itself.

Edited by Fran Haring

First time I met George Zingali.....Toledo, OH, Key To The Sea 1982. Brady Rouse, Bruce McCready and I were in the lot and George came over to say hi! Last time I saw him was at WGI (early 90's) at 4:30 AM doing a sound check at Dayton Arena and he loved the song my guard was doing (Here's Where the Story Ends" by The Sundays).

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, Fran Haring said:

The first time I met Jerry Seawright was at one of the DCA championship weekends in Scranton, PA. I'm a longtime Blue Devils fan, so I was blown away getting a chance to meet the man who made that great corps go for so many years.

The first time I met Bill Cook was also at a DCA championship weekend, in Allentown, 1980s. What a complete gentleman. And so down to earth. You would not know from talking with him that he was a billionaire.

The first time I met Gene Bennett was when I joined DCA's Long Island Sunrisers for the 1977 season. I had seen him several times before that, since my brothers were involved with Sun starting in 1974, and I remembered Gene marching with the Sunrisers in the years previous. But to finally get to meet him... and, more important, to be taught by him.... wow. Gotta be honest here... at first, I was scared to death. LOL. He had such a commanding, authoritative presence... larger than life.

First time I ever me Fran Haring was at a show in Dover, NJ (I believe) ... he was announcing and I handed him a bunch of raffle tickets for a DCA trip Sky's Alumni was running and told him to "pick a winner" ... I don't think he even knew who I was ... and probably still doesn't !!!!! ... LOL ...

:-)

2 hours ago, ajlisko said:

First time I ever me Fran Haring was at a show in Dover, NJ (I believe) ... he was announcing and I handed him a bunch of raffle tickets for a DCA trip Sky's Alumni was running and told him to "pick a winner" ... I don't think he even knew who I was ... and probably still doesn't !!!!! ... LOL ...

:-)

LOL Andy!!! Heck, there are times I have trouble remembering my own name!!!:tongue:

I met Ralph in 1976; he sealed the deal that drummers are cool. Marimbas are in drum corps now along with many expressive percussion instruments.

Hi Keith Hall. You're new thread Which Corps is Missed? with the poll What Top 12 Disbanded Corps do You Miss? doesn't seem to allow responses.