2017 Blue Stars

I wasn't really a fan of Sideshow, but I appreciated the leap in creativity. Just felt like they went a bridge too far, and now they have moved back in the other direction, perhaps also too far.

I will say, I tuned back into the broadcast Saturday and BlueStars were on, and for about 20 seconds I thought I was watching Carolina Crown. There is real talent and potential here, just need a show design that is a solid open to close idea that can evolve with the season and the concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Maybe next year they embrace the non-traditional corps show and ditch uniforms and go full blown electronics but will you like it as much?

Also admin do read these boards so if you want to tell them anything I'm sure they would look at it. 

Please DO NOT go non-trad/WGI syle!!!

This corps is so talented - they could go many directions stylistically - there is always room in the top 12 for upbeat, positive shows -- our world is depressing enough without angry (2017 SCV) or baffling (2017 Crown) drum corps shows -- 

I forgot how much DCP sucks sometimes.  

I posted on Thursday but again, I loved the show the two times I saw it, incredible talent in all three captions, beautiful music, amazing drill, and they do not shy away from difficulty at all.  I think it's layering well, if this show ends up 11th it's a testament to how #### good this year is, not any short fallings on their part.  It's not over yet, when this corps clicks in the latter weeks they can be dangerous.  

And if you can catch these guys in an encore........do it do it do it.  That was easily a highlight of my week in Belton.  That just brass and percussion stuff was SO good.  

• Like 3

The uniforms are fine. The talent is stellar. It's the d*** show designs that are hindering the corps. Moreover, GE and visual are and have been the corps achilles heel for quite some time. I also agree with another post; it seems like the even number years produce a show that moves up to the middle of the top 12. I'll even go as far as to say that '10 and '16 deserved higher than what they got. 2010 deserved 7th place and 2016 could have placed 7th and deserved 8th. Those two shows were fun, mature, sophisticated without being head scratching, very well thought out, had great flow from beginning to end, and were quite memorable. I don't know if the design team (Shapiro) was suffering from desperation and a lack of creativity to come up with a show this year; but what they put out there is just a dull show with a jumbled mess of bad transitions and some of the worst use and abuse of electronics in the top 12. This corps is filled with so much talent and deserves so much more than what they are being given. Seeing Boston skyrocket up the top 12, this year, and seeing the Blue Stars slide backward is troubling and heartbreaking. It's easier to fall out of the top 12 than it is to stay in; especially if you're one of those corps placing 10th, 11th, or 12th.  

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

The uniforms are fine. The talent is stellar. It's the d*** show designs that are hindering the corps. Moreover, GE and visual are and have been the corps achilles heel for quite some time. I also agree with another post; it seems like the even number years produce a show that moves up to the middle of the top 12. I'll even go as far as to say that '10 and '16 deserved higher than what they got. 2010 deserved 7th place and 2016 could have placed 7th and deserved 8th. Those two shows were fun, mature, sophisticated without being head scratching, very well thought out, had great flow from beginning to end, and were quite memorable. I don't know if the design team (Shapiro) was suffering from desperation and a lack of creativity to come up with a show this year; but what they put out there is just a dull show with a jumbled mess of bad transitions and some of the worst use and abuse of electronics in the top 12. This corps is filled with so much talent and deserves so much more than what they are being given. Seeing Boston skyrocket up the top 12, this year, and seeing the Blue Stars slide backward is troubling and heartbreaking. It's easier to fall out of the top 12 than it is to stay in; especially if you're one of those corps placing 10th, 11th, or 12th.  

There are no worries about this corps staying in finals.  They have been crushing the rotation of groups that make the 12th spot all season and we still have 3 weeks of cleaning and additions.  I doubt that thats the real end because think back to 2013 they added the whole voodoo dress ending, 14 they added the 50 set and them leaving, 15 the brought all the side shows back out for a final push, and last year consisted of the good guy getting the girl and everyone sleeping.  Plenty of GE to add and time to clean feet.  When you are one of the most moving groups its gonna take longer to clean.  Shapiro has proved that he is a top mind in DCI, WGI, and BOA so if you think hes throwing random stuff to gether hoping I am very curious on your ideas!

Its at least nice to see people taking the Stars seriously, finally.

Lets not act like the Stars being under appreciated by the judging community is new. I think most people agree that 2010 deserved a higher placement. When they did ReBourne, the GE judges crapped all over them for that prop and how much of the field it took up, but now groups like the Coats can come out with even bigger props and no judge seems to make a mention on how their props constrain the field. The brass line has never had the credit it deserves. The overall placement of the corps has always been a hindrance to where the guard and even the battery some years should be placing. Thankfully the folks that make up the membership understand that the scores don't dictate your hard work, because year after year, the talent keeps coming. Especially for that guard! 

Am I bitter? Yup... but when I see things like Blue Stars being 10th in guard? Really? And I won't go as far as to say that the Stars and Crossmen absolutely should be beating Phantom, but that gap in score? I don't see it... at all.

And if we want to talk about show designs, Phantom basically married the love theme for years and were able to compete with it. So why is it suddenly a high school show when the Blue Stars do it? I just don't get it. 

Obviously there is work that the corps needs to do as an organization. It isn't a secret that its time to realize that the visual excellence is just not there, and it has been the caption that has been the one behind for years. Granted, the drill this year is harder than what they have been used to, thanks to Ford being back. And I'd say those transit are definitely not on par, but we aren't looking at a tragic mess either. 

All in all, I should probably just hit the backspace button a bunch of times until the screen goes blank. I just needed to vent I suppose, which is always a great way to reintroduce yourself for the first time in a year to DCP!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Just from my relatively ignorant perspective, Blue Stars appears to have the talent to compete with a more challenging show, particularly from a brass and percussion standpoint. Three love themes sort of tagged together, to me, that is not a drum corps show, thats a high school show. They perform it increasingly well, I saw them early and was not imprsssed at all, and now at times they are amazing. But the show theme, eh. How do you evolve a show like this from a GE standpoint?

When I saw them in the Flomarching debut against the Cavaliers, I knew in the first :30-seconds that it was going to be another long year of battling it out with Crossmen and Madison to stay in the top 12 and make finals. All winter and spring the talk was all about the hornline being the best in years, and then the show starts off slow, plodding, with nothing musically to wow us and blow us out of our seats. When they rolled out the writing desks, my wife and I couldn't figure out what they were due to the solo cam wide-shot; they looked like gurneys, and still do. There's just no innovation with the design staff. You're absolutely right about the love themes. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blue32Wazoo said:

When they rolled out the writing desks, my wife and I couldn't figure out what they were due to the solo cam wide-shot; they looked like gurneys, and still do. There's just no innovation with the design staff. You're absolutely right about the love themes. 

Gurneys! exactly what I thought too! I'm glad they're using them more now, though - at least they're getting up on them and doing stuff --

I like the Blue Stars show. I saw them in KC last week and they come off much better in person than online. I assume they have more add to the show over the next two weeks (including making the gurneys look more like desks :unsure:). The corps is strong in all sections, so I expect they will do fine in August. 

The Blue Stars are a very consistent corps. The staff knows how to get a show to score approximately 90 by finals. I have no doubt they will do that this year with this show, probably getting them to 10th place. Some fans are not happy with this consistency, they want to see the corps compete for a top eight or higher placement. To do this, the Blue Stars may need to shake something up this off-season. Of course, the design team in place is basically the one that got them three eighth place finishes 2008-2010. Maybe they just need to get away from the Las Vegas shows?

• Like 1