2016 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

It looks we could eight corps tonight with corps above 90: Sunrisers and White Sabers very close yesterday (Sunrisers 89.50 and White Sabers 89.55).

Yes, that's what should have happened Sunday night--in my opinion, at least. But unsurprisingly (for anyone who noted scores last year from Prelims to Finals), it didn't. Just a further reminder that scores have no absolute meaning (e.g., compare these two shows to those that scored circa 90 in previous years, and I think you'll find these were better than some of those). A useful lesson.

.Love to see Sun take White Sabers tonight. (Sunrisers has to be the most improved corps in DCA this year.)

I also think that should have happened. Oh, well.

OK, I think that's the first time I've experienced a conch shell solo...

Ironically, since you live in Medina . . .

Two Ohio marching bands last year performed Gary Gilroy's "Mana Tiki". I saw both bands numerous times. The visuals were completely different (not surprising given that one band is more than twice as large as the other). The music was fairly similar, but there was some differentiation there too.

One of them was Medina.

No conch solo there, but the other band, Louisville, had, if I recall correctly, two conch solos.

Next on the field is the Kilties from Racine, Wisconsin. Their 2016 program is entitled "Gael Storm" and consists of:

The Gael (from Last of the Mohicans) by MacLean, Dougie

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by Reed, Greg & Charlie

Over the Rainbow (from The Wizard of Oz) by Harburg, E.Y.; Arlen, Harold

Sky Boat Song by Boulton, Harold

A ha!

The DCA yearbook I bought doesn't mention The Last of the Mohicans among the Kilties' repertoire, but that 1992 movie is one of my all-time favorites,* so I was sure I was hearing music from it. I even asked some Kilties members I saw on the concourse about it during the first break, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

But now that I'm home and can dig out my CD of the soundtrack, I see that two numbers there were actually adapted from a 1990 instrumental called "The Gael" by MacLean, who is a Scottish folk singer/songwriter.

*And I still remember, after this scene concluded, the whole theater audience collectively breathing at the same time:

(Yes, that Youtube poster wrongly credits an entirely different composer for the score.)

Listen to that sound, for which the film won the Academy Award. The audience at the Oscars seemed especially pleased by that outcome; Entertainment Weekly speculated at the time that they were thus acknowledging their foolishness in not having nominated the film for anything else.

(Another example of the "judges" getting it wrong.)

All the disgruntled folks in this thread missed one hell of a drum corps show last night. Scores and placements aside, it was easily on of the most entertaining lineups from top to bottom since I've been actively watching and participating in DCA, and the quality of the corps in the Top Ten is heads and shoulders above any I've seen live or on video (going back a long, long time).

As far as Open Class goes, and especially the O.C. Finalists, I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment.

A ha!

The DCA yearbook I bought doesn't mention The Last of the Mohicans among the Kilties' repertoire, but that 1992 movie is one of my all-time favorites,* so I was sure I was hearing music from it. I even asked some Kilties members I saw on the concourse about it during the first break, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

But now that I'm home and can dig out my CD of the soundtrack, I see that two numbers there were actually adapted from a 1990 instrumental called "The Gael" by MacLean, who is a Scottish folk singer/songwriter.

*And I still remember, after this scene concluded, the whole theater audience collectively breathing at the same time:

(Yes, that Youtube poster wrongly credits an entirely different composer for the score.)

Listen to that sound, for which the film won the Academy Award. The audience at the Oscars seemed especially pleased by that outcome; Entertainment Weekly speculated at the time that they were thus acknowledging their foolishness in not having nominated the film for anything else.

(Another example of the "judges" getting it wrong.)

In the DCA program book itself (and all season long at all performances--DCA, DCI and otherwise), it plainly list the tune as The Gael, and the composer. The main title of the movie track "Last of the Mohicans" was a "lift" of the original tune, The Gael, a Celtic folk song.

A Gael is a person of Celtic heritage, and in particular in relation to Scotland, a highlander ...hence the title of the show, "Gael Storm".

From the program books (and announcer read spiel sheet) at every performance throughout the 2016 season and from the show description submitted to judges prior to the season's start------:

"GAEL STORM---A musical and visual journey uniting clans to form country--Scotland. Follow the 2016 Kilties as the storm is weathered, the rain offers cleansing hope and the rainbow leads to the unity of clear and blue skies."

Followed by the list of musical selections and composers.

.............it is what it is.

In the DCA program book itself (and all season long at all performances--DCA, DCI and otherwise), it plainly list the tune as "The Gael", and the composer. The main title of the movie track Last of the Mohicans was a "lift" of the original tune, "The Gael", a Celtic folk song.

A Gael is a person of Celtic heritage, and in particular in relation to Scotland, a highlander ...hence the title of the show, "Gael Storm".

From the program books (and announcer read spiel sheet) at every performance throughout the 2016 season and from the show description submitted to judges prior to the season's start------:

"GAEL STORM---A musical and visual journey uniting clans to form country--Scotland. Follow the 2016 Kilties as the storm is weathered, the rain offers cleansing hope and the rainbow leads to the unity of clear and blue skies."

Followed by the list of musical selections and composers.

.............it is what it is.

Sorry, if my comment came across as any sort of criticism of the Kilties, that was not its intent. The confusion was entirely my own, for not realizing that one of the main themes from The Last of the Mohicans was actually rearranged from "The Gael".

I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion

Has broken Nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,

An’ fellow-mortal!

In the DCA program book itself (and all season long at all performances--DCA, DCI and otherwise), it plainly list the tune as The Gael, and the composer. The main title of the movie track "Last of the Mohicans" was a "lift" of the original tune, The Gael, a Celtic folk song.

"GAEL STORM---

She was quite a cutie back in the day....

1988GM-galestorm_sm.jpg

Well maybe next year they'll have licensing worked out

I heard a rumor that they're aiming for this.