Atlanta show site 2017

Atlanta's new spectacular stadium, the Mercedes Benz Stadium, with retractable roof, is due to be competed in early June, 2017. That date has recently been pushed back from April. Too late for DCI to schedule next years show there? The old Georgia Dome will be imploded sometime next fall/winter.

Edited by phantombob

Atlanta's new spectacular stadium, the Mercedes Benz Stadium, with retractable roof, is due to be competed in early June, 2017. That date has recently been pushed back from April. Too late for DCI to schedule next years show there? The old Georgia Dome will be imploded sometime next fall/winter.

Based on the debacle that happened when Lucas Oil was built, I think DCI would be wise to secure another venue for at least this year.

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 2

If I were to wager, I'd bet that it will be at Georgia Tech (if they'll let DCI back there). I bet the new stadium won't *quite* be ready, but that the Georgia Dome will no longer be usable.

• Like 1

If I were to wager, I'd bet that it will be at Georgia Tech (if they'll let DCI back there). I bet the new stadium won't *quite* be ready, but that the Georgia Dome will no longer be usable.

Is there a reason why they wouldn't let them back there? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the history between the 2.

The Atlanta show featured 27 corps and 7 soundsport teams this past year. That many people marching on a really nicely maintained grass field (in Bobby Dodd Stadium at GT) only a month before the start of college football seems like a BIG stretch to me. The parking situation in midtown has also changed significantly since 1984. There is very, very, very little room for truck parking/staging around BDS now, and even less parking for spectators. There would have to be a significant reworking of the schedule or slate of performing corps to accommodate the event there.

If MBS isn't done, I could perhaps see a heavily modified Atlanta event occurring at GT or UGA with only World Class corps. This past season featured a joint DCI Open/DCA show earlier in July. Maybe they modify the slate to include World Class on Saturday at one site, and Open/DCA on Friday at another.

Of course, I'd much rather see the mega-event in one place on one day. But time will tell.

Crews are scheduled to begin gutting the Georgia Dome in March, preparing to implode the building in the fall. So nope, it certainly wouldn't be available for any event in late July, when I'm guessing they will have already ripped out the seats, etc.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/georgia-dome-demolition-planned-next-year/nr5WX/

Seems to me like the simplest solution, just to be on the safe side, would be to flip Saturday's Southeastern Regional with Friday's "Masters of the Summer Music Games" that was held at Vanderbilt University in Nashville this year.

Have the Friday night "Masters" show in metro Atlanta, at McEachern High School's stadium in the northwest suburbs (turf field, much more parking for buses and trucks than Georgia Tech, and seats about 10,000 on the home side), Then, have the SE regional on Saturday at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville.

Then return to the normal schedule on Nashville or Murfreesboro on Friday night and the regional at the new Mercedes Benz stadium on Saturday in 2018.

Is it certain DCI dodesnt have a deal for the new stadium for next year? I heard they did this summer.

Move it to Charlotte. Only drawback is a grass field that the NFL may cry over. It also boasts a great downtown.