Atlanta show site 2017

Legion Field has turf now. Bring your own toilet paper and hot dogs, however.

The Old Gray Lady is not what she used to be. Still a sketchy neighborhood. It is where I was introduced to Drum corps however.

It's not about whether they can handle 16,000 for a show verses 55,000 for football. It's about the logistics of 88+ busses, 44+/- tractor trailers, & 40+/- other support vehicles. From what I can gather from DCP folks and when I look at an overhead view of the location, I don't think it's feasible to hold a major regional (with 22 corps) there. I think a smaller show could be made to work, like swapping shows with Nashville. Just my humble opinion........

And yet, with even more corps then, the 1984 DCI Championships week was held (prelims and finals, there were no semis) at Georgia Tech.

According to a post on Dan Potter's FB page, the plan is to be the 1st event held in MB stadium. I am curious what the backup plan is in case the completion date slips again.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208555155068335&set=a.2154087183711.2114391.1592370790&type=3&permPage=1

My son attends GT and we've spent a good amount of time on/around the campus as a result. Parking on-campus is a nightmare during games there so folks park in other lots around downtown or use Marta (See! Somebody uses it!). Being an urban campus there just isn't a lot of space for corps to park buses and/or equipment trucks so I don't see it as a possibility (at least not as currently configured with all open/world class corps competing).

Having said all that, Bobby Dodd is a great venue to host a drum corps show. It's just stuck in the middle of an urban campus.

My son attends GT and we've spent a good amount of time on/around the campus as a result. Parking on-campus is a nightmare during games there so folks park in other lots around downtown or use Marta (See! Somebody uses it!). Being an urban campus there just isn't a lot of space for corps to park buses and/or equipment trucks so I don't see it as a possibility (at least not as currently configured with all open/world class corps competing).

Having said all that, Bobby Dodd is a great venue to host a drum corps show. It's just stuck in the middle of an urban campus.

For our first Atlanta Regional, we decided to drive there and back, so we parked at a Marta station and took the train in -- no problems. After the show, we walked to where the Corps busses were to see #TheSon and talk to friends. Then someone mentioned Marta shuts down at 11PM and we barely made it to the train on time.

Marta doesn't have a DCI friendly schedule, though I bet they make accommodations for the NFL which brings in more $$$$.

And yet, with even more corps then, the 1984 DCI Championships week was held (prelims and finals, there were no semis) at Georgia Tech.

There were also not nearly as many "semis" (equipment trucks, all the other support 'stuff' that corps need these days). I know it was done. I was there. And, yes, Bobby Dodd Stadium (or Grant Field, for us old timers) is a fantastic place to perform (and watch) a show. But, the logistics outside the stadium are not conducive to a smoothly running event.

There were also not nearly as many "semis" (equipment trucks, all the other support 'stuff' that corps need these days). I know it was done. I was there. And, yes, Bobby Dodd Stadium (or Grant Field, for us old timers) is a fantastic place to perform (and watch) a show. But, the logistics outside the stadium are not conducive to a smoothly running event.

Ditto for Franklin Field in Philly or Camp Randall in Madison.

Ditto for Franklin Field in Philly or Camp Randall in Madison.

I was going to compare Bobby Dodd to Camp Randall. But, there are different challenges. Camp Randall is sort of on the side of the UW campus, nestled in a neighborhood. So, there's all the neighbor issues to deal with there. Bobby Dodd is pushed right up against the downtown connector (I 75/85), but otherwise pretty much in the middle of an urban campus. No neighborhoods -- in the immediate area -- but no empty space, either.