Atlanta show site 2017

Yes. But with 2008 in mind, will they choose the correct option?

i didnt say that. i said they are looking at options.

and IU had a larger crowd than Indy did the first few years

Georgia (and especially Atlanta) is a marching arts hotbed. Some amazing marching bands have come out of the Atlanta area, namely Harrison, Kennesaw Mountain, and (going back several years) Lassiter, just to name a few. Also, it's the hometown of Spirit of Atlanta. That pretty much explains the reason why Atlanta is so important for a DCI event.

Around 17,000 fans attended the event last year, so I'm gonna bet the home side of the stadium needs 10,000+.

You forgot the two original "amazing marching bands" from the Atlanta area: South Cobb (in the '70s, when Freddy Martin, Spirit of Atlanta founder, was their band director), and Sprayberry, especially in the early 90s, when Freddy was the brass instructor, we had tons of future corps members in the hornline, and were basically playing mid-to-late 80s Blue Devil charts. (Hrothgar, I'm not sure that your program has changed quite as much as mine has...although, we've had another decade...I graduated from Sprayberry in '93.)

Harrison and Lassiter are both (along with several other schools) in what was originally the Sprayberry district.

Edited by MaestroBen
  • Like 1

Jacksonville's EverBank Field and Columbia's Williams-Brice Stadium are two other good options for DCI to move the regional... Except that they are also both non-turf.

DCI used to hold a show at Williams-Brice back in the mid 80s. And that was before the stadium was renovated and the size increased, so I'm pretty sure it would be quite big enough now. Plus I wouldn't have to travel! :satisfied:

You forgot the two original "amazing marching bands" from the Atlanta area: South Cobb (in the '70s, when Freddy Martin, Spirit of Atlanta founder, was their band director), and Sprayberry, especially in the early 90s, when Freddy was the brass instructor, we had tons of future corps members in the hornline, and were basically playing mid-to-late 80s Blue Devil charts. (Hrothgar, I'm not sure that your program has changed quite as much as mine has...although, we've had another decade...I graduated from Sprayberry in '93.)

Harrison and Lassiter are both (along with several other schools) in what was originally the Sprayberry district.

I was in Freddy Martin's band at South Cobb in the mid-70s, and my wife was in his brother Dan Martin's Sprayberry band. The South Cobb band sponsored the first DCI show ever in Atlanta, Drums Across America at Grant Field in 1976. Attendance at that show was somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,000, amazing considering the lineup: Crossmen, Blue Stars, Finleyville Royal Crusaders, Saint Francis Sancians, CapitolAires, Belleville Black Knights, Birmingham Charioteers and Bleu Raiders.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned the community of Woodstock, GA with its lakes, Jeff Sacktig, Michael Terry, and so many DCI judges including Gary Markham...so much drum corps talent in one tiny town.

I remember visiting the SHS band room after finals in '95. Gary Markham, as Music Coordinator for Cobb County Schools (newly hired at the time) was visiting that day.

I walked in, and immediately thought, and might have said "What in the world is the judge who took our brass trophy away doing here?" (Madison won brass in quarters and semis that year, but BD passed us, with Gary on the field, at finals.). He probably wondered what in the world this college kid was doing giving him the evil eye...

DCI used to hold a show at Williams-Brice back in the mid 80s. And that was before the stadium was renovated and the size increased, so I'm pretty sure it would be quite big enough now. Plus I wouldn't have to travel! :satisfied:

In that case come on down to Jordan Hare in Auburn. It's only about an hour and a half from Atlanta

• Like 1

In that case come on down to Jordan Hare in Auburn. It's only about an hour and a half from Atlanta

As much as this alumni would love that, the athletic department would not allow it due to always replacing the grass every summer. However, why couldn't a corps rehearse on the marching band's brand new practice field since it is turf?

But in the other direction from me. I work literally down the street from Williams Brice.

But in the other direction from me. I work literally down the street from Williams Brice.

We both know neither is going to happen.