Assuming bag pipes would be illegal

It's been done already. Vanguard had a theremin in the pit for their 2015 show.

They also used a theremin sample in their 2011 show.

There was an acclaimed documentary about Léon Theremin, the instrument's inventor, that was released in 1993, the year of his death at age 97. He had served in the Russian army in World War I, was sent to the west to promote his invention in the 1920s and 30s, spent several years in a gulag in the 1940s, and assisted his government with electronic eavesdropping on the U.S. in the 1950s.

Here's a trailer:

Here's a quote I found on Wikipedia from the director (circa 1960?) of the Conservatory of Music in Moscow, commenting on the theremin:

"Electricity is not good for music; electricity is to be used for electrocution."

A sentiment shared by some drum corps fans!

Dare I say the bagpipes actually sound cleaner than that brass section??

In the right hands, played properly, bagpipes are wonderful. A unique sound.

But in the wrong hands.... imagine jabbing pencils into your eyes. :tongue:

• Like 1

There was an acclaimed documentary about Léon Theremin, the instrument's inventor, that was released in 1993, the year of his death at age 97. He had served in the Russian army in World War I, was sent to the west to promote his invention in the 1920s and 30s, spent several years in a gulag in the 1940s, and assisted his government with electronic eavesdropping on the U.S. in the 1950s.

Here's a trailer:

Here's a quote I found on Wikipedia from the director (circa 1960?) of the Conservatory of Music in Moscow, commenting on the theremin:

"Electricity is not good for music; electricity is to be used for electrocution."

A sentiment shared by some drum corps fans!

Ah, the drum corps debate about the word "execute"

if any Sound is legal, what is the reasoning behind making any Instrument illegal?

I've got a strong vein of 'drum corps should sound like drum corps always has' in me, sure, but we've already moved on from that. If the door is open for a synth keyboard that can duplicate any sound profile, and pre-recorded audio clips of anything you want, what is the basis for a rule that makes actually performing these instruments out of bounds?

if any Sound is legal, what is the reasoning behind making any Instrument illegal?

I've got a strong vein of 'drum corps should sound like drum corps always has' in me, sure, but we've already moved on from that. If the door is open for a synth keyboard that can duplicate any sound profile, and pre-recorded audio clips of anything you want, what is the basis for a rule that makes actually performing these instruments out of bounds?

I don't think Yamaha, System Blue or FJ Cesario manufacture bagpipes.

In the right hands, played properly, bagpipes are wonderful. A unique sound.

But in the wrong hands.... imagine jabbing pencils into your eyes. :tongue:

Unfortunately I guess I've only ever heard bagpipes played in the wrong hands.

I'm just not keen on the sound unless it's a form of Misophonia. Either that or in a previous life I was attacked by a bagpipe.