Blue Coats DCI Champions '16: Paradigm Shift?

I like someone to title their show "Paradigm by the Dashboard Light."

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 8:57 PM, ashyUechi said:

Blue Devils and their use of props changed the ways teams do things. Since they did the show with the chairs more teams have used props and re-staged the way they do.

Probably Santa Clara and Velvet Knights pointed us in the direction of props more than anyone else.

I always figure 05 Cadets was the show that solidified an aspect of 'theatrics' as essential.  07 BD may be the last show to ever win or even contend to win with such sparse adornment.

consider: 16 SCV could have been a winning show a decade ago, but I think in the current environment it lacked the frills to fight for the top spot.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, bandman28 said:

I think Star of Indiana 1990-1993 changed the creative process forever.

I don't think so.

Star of Indiana in 1990-1993 essentially utilized no large field props.... utilized no Bb's ( utilized G's ).... utilized no trombones... no violins.... no French horns.... had no pre show.... had conventional, traditional uniforms...... utilized no amplification.... no electronics... no sound effects.... no current political messaging.... no make-up..... no winking..... no electric guitars.... no singing.....  no vocalizations.... no preachiness....and dozens of things from their shows  that is totally unlike in most respects in what " the creative process " is today.

For all intents and purposes, the Star of Indiana shows of 1990-1993 is a nostalgic trip down memory lane from over 25 years ago whose shows from back then bare little to no relationship at all to todays DCI Corps shows, imo. None of todays DCI Corps shows look nor sound anything like the Star of Indiana's shows, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 10:06 PM, bandman28 said:

I think Star of Indiana 1990-1993 changed the creative process forever.

92 & 93 I get - due to the body movement and staging being brought into the design more consistently

But why 90 & 91?

• Like 1