Blue Coats DCI Champions '16: Paradigm Shift?

I'll just put this video out there as germane to the last several posts. Draw your own conclusions.

Very interesting! The impression that video gives me is that Bluecoats improved noticeably upon a good portion of their source music.

• Like 3

Very interesting! The impression that video gives me is that Bluecoats improved noticeably upon a good portion of their source music.

I agree. Most people who are not drum corps nerds like us would barely even recognize that Bluecoats is playing those selections. If anything, the range of their arrangements is VASTLY more diverse than the original source music.

If anything, it proves to me that there are some extremely experienced and talented arrangers in Canton.

• Like 4

I agree. Most people who are not drum corps nerds like us would barely even recognize that Bluecoats is playing those selections. If anything, the range of their arrangements is VASTLY more diverse than the original source music.

If anything, it proves to me that there are some extremely experienced and talented arrangers in Canton.

Thrower and Rarick have been my favorite arranging team since 2013, that's why. I think what they do is so exciting and fresh. Thrower REALLY embraces the source music and its intent and tries to enhance it, that was incredibly apparent in a Marching Roundtable interview he did.

• Like 1

I don't think they improved on the pieces. A lot of the pieces are repetitive in motif and rather similar to each other. Repetitive motifs have been common to Bluecoats' repertoire lately, it seems to me; they seem to favor minimalistic sources and mesh them together, and they do that quite well.

To me, the true joy of 'Heat of the Day' (the source material, I mean) comes from the individual soloists that break out of that motif and how whoever is in support mode at the time gets out of the way and then gradually nudges and then pulls the soloist, almost kicking and screaming, back into line. That's how it feels, at least to me, and I wish there was more of that represented in what The Bluecoats put on the field musically, instead of just the motif. But people loved what they did, and there were other shows that provide a variety of thematic and melodic ideas that were more to my liking like BD, Cavaliers, SCV, BK, and others, and I think those arrangers/composers have the fortitude to stay true to their path and not follow someone else just because it was popular. So I don't have serious qualms about the choices Bluecoats made. It was just not for me, except for the slow jam in the middle which was really good.

I definitely understand where Lance is coming from. Again, as always, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by jaylogan

Well, obviously, the intent of the arrangements and concept is to emphasize the soloists by having the greater corps perform a slow burn backdrop. Without the soloists, it's drab. Without the backdrop, it's overkill.

And that is exactly why the three company fronts have such an impact.

• Like 3

I'll just put this video out there as germane to the last several posts. Draw your own conclusions.

There is considerable "leading" going on in the description of the video... the poster posits "diversity" and "range" as the threshold of quality... completely ignoring the obvious true purpose for using these pieces in that they are highly compatible with each other in the interest of a 12 minute show arrangement that will weave between fragments seamlessly.

Now if they were going to perform only those pieces (minus the ballad... which isn't included in the video... suspiciously) in their entirety with a break between (as if to perform a concert of contrasting works), then it's a fair criticism. But that's not drum corps show writing and it never really has been... even back in the good old days (when ever that was).

Beginning, Middle, End... Opener, Ballad, Closer... all are severely truncated arrangements that call back and forth to the opposite and adjacent parts frequently (particularly between the opener and the closer).

Thrower and Rarick have been my favorite arranging team since 2013, that's why. I think what they do is so exciting and fresh. Thrower REALLY embraces the source music and its intent and tries to enhance it, that was incredibly apparent in a Marching Roundtable interview he did.

Absolutely agree with that. Even as far back as 15 years ago... I had a short conversation with Doug when I was marching and he was talking about the lack of awareness by the audience that they were actually listening to fragments of music from other portions of the show that were purposely inserted in the counterpoint. It's not important that the audience or judges notice it... but it is important that it's there, because it makes the show a show, rather than a short concert of works.

And he is still doing it... very, very masterfully. The only other person that I can think of that may have done it better (or at least longer) was Wayne Downey.

As for 2013... I was just rewatching some of that show this evening... randomly... and I was stunned at how much of a contending show that actually was. If there is an underrated Bluecoats show... it's 2013.

• Like 2

Absolutely agree with that. Even as far back as 15 years ago... I had a short conversation with Doug when I was marching and he was talking about the lack of awareness by the audience that they were actually listening to fragments of music from other portions of the show that were purposely inserted in the counterpoint. It's not important that the audience or judges notice it... but it is important that it's there, because it makes the show a show, rather than a short concert of works.

And he is still doing it... very, very masterfully. The only other person that I can think of that may have done it better (or at least longer) was Wayne Downey.

As for 2013... I was just rewatching some of that show this evening... randomly... and I was stunned at how much of a contending show that actually was. If there is an underrated Bluecoats show... it's 2013.

I could have an incredibly long conversation about 2013 about some things I never noticed, the obvious direction change in programming, the start of their trademark musical approach (the Steve Reich section oh my God), and other things.

But that was the true start of what they're doing now IMO. 2014 would not of happened without that one.

• Like 3

not that hard to get if you know the definition of ostinato, and can read music and/or have ears

i'm not being critical or exaggerating. just stating a fact. i don't care for it, but i think it will have an impact on brass arrangements in the future, and that's what this thread is about.

effect can obviously affect everyone -- even judges. I agree that this show should have won. but imo the effect bled into a lot of other captions (which really shouldn't happen). not the first time, won't be the last.

i think where this show moves away from the 'mainstream' is in how the percussion and electronics drove the design and brass was relegated to a supporting role.

• 3 months later...