Blue Coats DCI Champions '16: Paradigm Shift?

effect can obviously affect everyone -- even judges. I agree that this show should have won. but imo the effect bled into a lot of other captions (which really shouldn't happen). not the first time, won't be the last.

i think where this show moves away from the 'mainstream' is in how the percussion and electronics drove the design and brass was relegated to a supporting role.

I personally think it is absurd to claim that brass was "relegated" to a supporting role in this show. If anything, brass soloists dominated the musical performances.

Blueoats have purposefully designed shows to maximize General Effect. That is the whole point of this scoring system. Whomever wins GE likely wins the gold. Everything should "bleed into" everything in a great show.

• Like 4

effect can obviously affect everyone -- even judges. I agree that this show should have won. but imo the effect bled into a lot of other captions (which really shouldn't happen). not the first time, won't be the last.

i think where this show moves away from the 'mainstream' is in how the percussion and electronics drove the design and brass was relegated to a supporting role.

how did effect bleed over?

they only won 2 other sheets, both performance captions ( field visual and field percussion)....3rd in VA and guard, 2nd in brass and upstairs perc, 3rd in MA.

how did effect bleed over?

they only won 2 other sheets, both performance captions ( field visual and field percussion)....3rd in VA and guard, 2nd in brass and upstairs perc, 3rd in MA.

And first in overall music. No award given, but it's very important to understand how it played into the win. It wasn't ALL about GE but overall balance, of which music supercaption was a huge part.

• Like 3

And first in overall music. No award given, but it's very important to understand how it played into the win. It was ALL about GE but overall balance, of which music supercaption was a huge part.

FTFY :ninja:

Tremendous pressure on the design team: they're now in the (un)enviable position of "Let's see you top that !" Will be fun to see what they've come up with in 2017.

I can criticize judging as much as anyone, but to imply or just outright state that the judges were unduly influcenced by the crowd reaction and scored technical areas higher as a result is angering. This is the same crap levied at Cavaliers and BD when they started to win gold with shows that were designed largely around a visual concept.

• Like 3

And first in overall music. No award given, but it's very important to understand how it played into the win. It wasn't ALL about GE but overall balance, of which music supercaption was a huge part.

But it appears as though you are implying that, because they won GE and visual captions, their musicianship was scored higher than it should have been. Bluecoats, to my ears, were obviously and clearly one of the three most proficient musicianship Corps on tour. I don't even think that's honestly arguable. They played in front of every judging combination out there and rarely scored below fourth in any musical caption.

They were likely the most consistent Corps on tour last year.

• Like 3

But it appears as though you are implying that, because they won GE and visual captions, their musicianship was scored higher than it should have been. Bluecoats, to my ears, were obviously and clearly one of the three most proficient musicianship Corps on tour. I don't even think that's honestly arguable. They played in front of every judging combination out there and rarely scored below fourth in any musical caption.

They were likely the most consistent Corps on tour last year.

You have me all wrong. My entire point is to show that MUSIC was a major contributor to the GE. People here tend to be focused on visual effect, ramps, staging, electronics and winks. You know Bloo missed winning brass only by a third of a tenth (.03), right?

Bloo won GE *and* MUSIC super-captions. I think they were 3rd in the visual.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Now we have three threads of the same thing!!!!   lol

• Like 1