Why only 5 mini corps this year?

Hard to believe I am going to say this, but here goes. Want to see more mini corps? Make it an exhibition and take the judging out of it. It takes too much hard work to compete for second, and even though I can say that I programmed and performed in the only show that ever beat Star United, it is so much work to get a group that good, that it becomes almost unhealthy.

I came over to the venue after finally going to the WDHOF banquet. I have missed the banquet every year except the year it was on Friday because of a parade downtown cause I and E to moved to Saturday. Many people were asking of course about why the Ghost Riders weren't there. I won't be ashamed to say that the show needed that group and maybe a few more. The vibe for me was not what I expected. Less fans than usual as well.

Star was great as usual, Sacramento was very good, the rest were also good. But there was something missing. I know I missed doing it, but I did not miss how hard we worked to get to the level we had to achieve to compete with Star.

I will imagine that this response will take some heat, but it is fine if it does. I got to go to someone's induction that I sponsored into the WDCHOF, Rick Rogers, who I wrote many shows with and worked with on many projects. I have been missing the banquet every year because it is at the same time as the mini corps show. Maybe if that they didn't collide, that may bring some more interest. In the meantime, RIP Mass Brass, Golden Eagles, Erie Thunderbirds mini corps, Minne Brass, Skyliners mini corps, Crossmen Extreme et al.

Donny

WDCHOF Class of 1995

• Like 1

That's the thing. I've avoided saying old vs young because it's not all about age. I'm trying to look at minicorps as something fun to do for everyone. It's something young and old can do together with as much or as little movement is desired. Minicorps is where I got to perform with Gary and Jeff Gibbens and MelliGene and they taught me a lot (whether they know it or not).

I also think that the powers that be of DCA need to pitch it some more, along with the I&E stuff. There are tons of talented individuals.

Part of the problem though, is that the performers who would want to do this, can't, because their respective corps have them practicing on Friday night (some not all). So could there be things done to have more involvement there? Possibly.

I'm open to talking with anyone and everyone about making DCA a bigger and better place for all ages!

here's the #1 thing about DCA weekend....to make money for the member corps.

I&E makes no money for them.

if members wanted to do mini corps that badly, they'd be bugging their administrations.

Hard to believe I am going to say this, but here goes. Want to see more mini corps? Make it an exhibition and take the judging out of it. It takes too much hard work to compete for second, and even though I can say that I programmed and performed in the only show that ever beat Star United, it is so much work to get a group that good, that it becomes almost unhealthy.

I came over to the venue after finally going to the WDHOF banquet. I have missed the banquet every year except the year it was on Friday because of a parade downtown cause I and E to moved to Saturday. Many people were asking of course about why the Ghost Riders weren't there. I won't be ashamed to say that the show needed that group and maybe a few more. The vibe for me was not what I expected. Less fans than usual as well.

Star was great as usual, Sacramento was very good, the rest were also good. But there was something missing. I know I missed doing it, but I did not miss how hard we worked to get to the level we had to achieve to compete with Star.

I will imagine that this response will take some heat, but it is fine if it does. I got to go to someone's induction that I sponsored into the WDCHOF, Rick Rogers, who I wrote many shows with and worked with on many projects. I have been missing the banquet every year because it is at the same time as the mini corps show. Maybe if that they didn't collide, that may bring some more interest. In the meantime, RIP Mass Brass, Golden Eagles, Erie Thunderbirds mini corps, Minne Brass, Skyliners mini corps, Crossmen Extreme et al.

Donny

WDCHOF Class of 1995

Would it be better if they adopted a SoundSport idea of ratings instead of 1 through 12... they used Gold Class, Silver Class, Bronze Class. So essentially putting mini corps into a box instead of a numerical ranking? Its not just that everyone gets to play, its not everyone getting a ribbon, its also not everyone fights for second.

Would it be better if they adopted a SoundSport idea of ratings instead of 1 through 12... they used Gold Class, Silver Class, Bronze Class. So essentially putting mini corps into a box instead of a numerical ranking? Its not just that everyone gets to play, its not everyone getting a ribbon, its also not everyone fights for second.

Sound Sport does name a "best in show", though. The Railmen got that honor in Indy.

Sound Sport does name a "best in show", though. The Railmen got that honor in Indy.

So does Westminster kennel. It's as subjective as GE

So does Westminster kennel. It's as subjective as GE

they could add a phone voting app. that give you the crowd vote for this. the city karaoke league uses this. and its awesome. you vote from 1-5 on each performer. it takes and average. and gives you a best in show.

Actually aren't they already using some version of a phone voting app for the mini corps contest? As you describe it for your karaoke league, it seems like all that would be necessary. I mean it's not like you can do anything with the score sheets after the show anyway. A crowd vote will always be a popularity contest, but in a one-show season isn't that all there is? Sounds like a good idea.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

Actually aren't they already using some version of a phone voting app for the mini corps contest? As you describe it for your karaoke league, it seems like all that would be necessary. I mean it's not like you can do anything with the score sheets after the show anyway. A crowd vote will always be a popularity contest, but in a one-show season isn't that all there is? Sounds like a good idea.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

no idea. i didn't go this year. But you can get your rating from the judges. Gold=YAY Silver=ok Bronze=ummmm... Steel=aww man.. Plywood=... crud.

And the fans can crown someone they like, even if it wasn't the cleanest according to three to five people in polos.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I thought I heard Fran announce the phone number just before Govenaires performance. I was talking to an old friend with the Skyliners Alumni at the mini corps show, and we were discussing that very thing to use for the Alumni Spectacular. You've got to admit it has the potential to lead to some wild and wooly standings when the music stops. In the end it would be about who was most entertaining and that what it's about anyway........, isn't it?

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders