Why only 5 mini corps this year?

I knew the performance rights and the post wasn't to include recording rights. My point was why make Mini Corps get performance rights and not large ensembles?

That is not true. Up until two years ago when they decided not to either video tape/and or broadcast, the mini corps were liable to secure mechanical/streaming rights as well. The last two years have been no sync rights. needed.

DA

It absolutely is true. The individual corps are/were *never* responsible for mechanical/synch/streaming rights. Ever. Those are the responsibility of the producers of the media. That isn't new either, it goes back years. The only exception is for groups producing their own media.

Now, DCA may have been charging the mini-corps a fee claiming it was to offset these rights (I have no idea...that's just a guess if there was indeed some cost that used to be assessed but isn't now), but that would be super-shady and improper. DCA doesn't hold the rights to any music, and cannot pass those fees along to the performing units.

Edited by Kamarag

Is it me or are the Mini Corps not given the same amount of love as the Open and A Corps? I find Mini corps competitions just as important.

They aren't dues paying members of DCA

Because it's US law. Here's a good general explanation.

I'm still a bit confused here.

What is the difference between a 10-person brass ensemble not having to obtain those rights, but an 11-person mini-corps having to do so? Aren't they both public performances?

(FYI the minimum size for a DCA mini-corps is 11 performers, as far as I recall.)

I'm still a bit confused here.

What is the difference between a 10-person brass ensemble not having to obtain those rights, but an 11-person mini-corps having to do so? Aren't they both public performances?

(FYI the minimum size for a DCA mini-corps is 11 performers, as far as I recall.)

The certainly are. If that ten-person brass ensemble has arranged music specifically for themselves, they are absolutely on the hook for arranging/performance rights. If they bought a stock piece (for lack of a better term, sold by JW Pepper, for example) they don't have to secure additional rights, and performance rights came with the music. If they have something composed specifically for them, those rights are generally granted with the commission (we should have Key post about how he does it).

The next question you should ask is "why isn't that being enforced?" (and to be fair, I don't know that it isn't)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

That's the point I was trying to make. I can take my 23 person Mini Corps downstairs and save $1,000 in Performance Rights. This could be why Mini Corps numbers are shrinking?

• Like 1

The certainly are. If that ten-person brass ensemble has arranged music specifically for themselves, they are absolutely on the hook for arranging/performance rights. If they bought a stock piece (for lack of a better term, sold by JW Pepper, for example) they don't have to secure additional rights, and performance rights came with the music. If they have something composed specifically for them, those rights are generally granted with the commission (we should have Key post about how he does it).

The next question you should ask is "why isn't that being enforced?" (and to be fair, I don't know that it isn't)

Thanks, John.

So basically... for an ensemble/mini-corps wanting to save money, the best bet is either all-original music (with the OK from the composer, of course)... or "stock" arrangements/public domain stuff.

This whole music/synch rights situation is way above my pay grade. :tongue:

Like Tom has said... I do wonder if this issue is a factor in the size of the mini-corps field. Then again, we had, what, 11 on stage just a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

That's the point I was trying to make. I can take my 23 person Mini Corps downstairs and save $1,000 in Performance Rights. This could be why Mini Corps numbers are shrinking?

I am no expert, and I don't know DCA at all, but is that $1,000 something DCA is charging you over and above the $125 entry on the Mini-corps application? I don't see it noted anywhere on that form or the Agreement form.

The Agreement does state this:

"2. PERFORMANCE RIGHTS. DCA will make arrangements with ASCAP and BMI to allow the public performance of music within their catalogs at DCA-sponsored events. The Corps shall, and by its execution of the Agreement does, assume full responsibility for (i) obtaining any and all necessary permissions, licenses, and releases for its music, including but not limited to arrangement licenses and performance licenses; and (ii) obtaining any necessary releases from the Corps’ members and instructors for DCA to utilize their audio, visual, and audio-visual sounds and images pursuant to this Agreement."

• Like 1

I am no expert, and I don't know DCA at all, but is that $1,000 something DCA is charging you over and above the $125 entry on the Mini-corps application? I don't see it noted anywhere on that form or the Agreement form.

No, I believe the person was talking about the average cost of obtaining the arrangement and performance rights to produce a " show" be it a field show or concert show. The DCA does not charge corps a fee pertaining to music rights.

The Agreement does state this:

"2. PERFORMANCE RIGHTS. DCA will make arrangements with ASCAP and BMI to allow the public performance of music within their catalogs at DCA-sponsored events. The Corps shall, and by its execution of the Agreement does, assume full responsibility for (i) obtaining any and all necessary permissions, licenses, and releases for its music, including but not limited to arrangement licenses and performance licenses; and (ii) obtaining any necessary releases from the Corps’ members and instructors for DCA to utilize their audio, visual, and audio-visual sounds and images pursuant to this Agreement."