Crossmen 2017

The higher corps get 300+ in BRASS ALONE, and we know percussion numbers are always 2-3 times higher, lol. With color guard, 3-4 audition camps + video auditions, getting to 1000 shouldn't surprise anyone.

As far as cuts are concerned, the cut members are handed a list of other corps to contact. Naturally, tech staffs have a preference, so a cut kid might hear something like "You should try [this corps] because I know [so-and-so]. They'll teach you right." That kind of conversation happens all the time during a long weekend of auditions. It's important to build relationships with all kids, even the cuts, if possible.

Not sure what corps you're referencing here, but I've been through 8 auditions in the last two seasons (only three of those were serious auditions) and we have NEVER been "handed a list of other corps to contact", even upon asking. In fact, the most common response to the question has been: "It doesn't really matter these days. Just go where you can get in and march. They'll teach you how to march and play, and we can teach you our playing style."

Your idea doesn't happen much in the battery, so maybe you're talking about brass staff practices.

RE: Crossmen specifically, my understanding is that, at the end of each camp, each battery try-out gets a slip of paper with a number on it that tells the tryout that they are either cut, called back to January, or contracted on the spot.

Edited by garfield

Not sure what corps you're referencing here, but I've been through 8 auditions in the last two seasons (only three of those were serious auditions) and we have NEVER been "handed a list of other corps to contact", even upon asking. In fact, the most common response to the question has been: "It doesn't really matter these days. Just go where you can get in and march. They'll teach you how to march and play, and we can teach you our playing style."

Your idea doesn't happen much in the battery, so maybe you're talking about brass staff practices.

RE: Crossmen specifically, my understanding is that each battery try-out gets a slip of paper with a number on it that tells they tryout that they are either cut, called back to January, or contracted on the spot.

Bloo and SCV, where I listened to over 1000 brass auditions between 2006 and 2015. (I've been back at Bloo since 2016, but not doing auditions)

I'm 100% sure Jeff Feidler provided that list to every cut, along with the sheet you described (cut, call back, or contract).

I'm 99% sure Dave Glasgow does the same thing. I'm not 100% because I haven't seen the sheet...I've only heard about it.

So it doesn't originate from the caption, but from the admin in both cases. FWIW, Dan Acheson did the same thing at the Glassmen, and that was even before they made finals. All of these leaders want every kid to experience DCI, no matter how it happens.

• Like 2

Bloo and SCV, where I listened to over 1000 brass auditions between 2006 and 2015. (I've been back at Bloo since 2016, but not doing auditions)

I'm 100% sure Jeff Feidler provided that list to every cut, along with the sheet you described (cut, call back, or contract).

I'm 99% sure Dave Glasgow does the same thing. I'm not 100% because I haven't seen the sheet...I've only heard about it.

So it doesn't originate from the caption, but from the admin in both cases. FWIW, Dan Acheson did the same thing at the Glassmen, and that was even before they made finals. All of these leaders want every kid to experience DCI, no matter how it happens.

And your ears are probably just now getting back to normal after 1000 auditions..

• Like 2

I think if the Crossmen design team continues to put out shows the Texas kids 'respect', they will be inundated with talent that stays in Texas.

Funny how parts of Crossmen, and I'm sure other corps, don't want to stay in their home state. BK's percussion caption head, much of the perc staff, and a bunch of their MM's come from SoCal and they prefer kids from that area because they can hold perc rehearsals there, where most of them live, between full-corps camps.

Same thing at Crossmen. Much of their perc staff comes from southeast Ohio and they prefer Midwest kids for the same reasons.

Edited by garfield

This is not related to Crossmen, but a kid I used to teach tried out for Bluecoats this past weekend in Ohio. He didn't make the call-back but had a very positive experience. The staff recommended that he try out for Blue Stars and offered to pass along his information if he was interested.

Straight up cut from Bluecoats, but being told to got to Blue Stars?

Either the Bluecoats have the greatest talent base they've ever had at auditions. Or they are undervaluing the type of auditionee the Blue Stars are looking for.

Funny how parts of Crossmen, and I'm sure other corps, don't want to stay in their home state. BK's percussion caption head, much of the perc staff, and a bunch of their MM's come from SoCal and they prefer kids from that area because they can hold perc rehearsals there, where most of them live, between full-corps camps.

Same thing at Crossmen. Much of their perc staff comes from southeast Ohio and they prefer Midwest kids for the same reasons.

You know, I'm not sure why this bothers me so much but I would hate to think that kids were being cut because they aren't from the right area. I know that BK doesn't do spring training because they are 'honoring the winter percussion season' , but... I know that my son's group is basically from 'a specific area' but I also know he made the group as an unknown from 1000 miles away and his not being able to practice in the spring away from camp was not an issue. Maybe I'm just upset because local drummesr have little chance even though they have a local Drum corps. Maybe drum corps drumming needs to move towards how the color guard works, contract in April or May. Come with your best and move right in.

If by respect you mean continually improve in placement I'd agree.

Well that's a results-oriented interpretations -- perhaps that meshes well with my intent and perhaps it doesn't.

Fact is a lot high school kids march for or compete against programs that are flat-out better-designed shows; and sometimes those shows might even be better performed than some corps. They can see if a corps matches up with their experience. Granted -- those kids judgement may not be the best informed but they're still making those comparisons.

If a kid watches a program and says -- yeah that's really good, she'll be "willing" to march there. If a kid says "wow XYZ corps can't really march or ZYX corps has a show that is 'dumb', she might not be inclined to march there.

That's what I meant by respect.

They set a new attendance record for their San Antonio camp. They had a successful Dallas camp and Houston camp is next week.

Crossmen have recently had huge turn outs at auditions. Goes to show you the success of music programs in Tx.