Crossmen 2017

4 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I just watched a video run-through and this is the most spread-out drill I've seen from the Crossmen in a long time.  It's also more physically challenging on the horn players and battery than we've seen since Darryl Pemberton was writing the drill.  IMO.

Would love to see that... :)

So here are my thoughts....

Performance wise...YES... they are there. Guard, brass, visual, (I'm not a percussion guy by and means)....the are there. Yes, they have a LOT to clean. But it is only June, so that is very much to be expected...

However...the movement before the ballad, and somewhat the closer, too...are very, how do I say it...dull. It's the same one or to ideas re-iterated over and over and over and over again and beaten to death. In terms of momentum, everything stalls. Multiple times. Which is NOT GOOD. I only hope that the design gets fixed ASAP, and that the performance level is maintained and elevated even more. They have a LOT to fix if they want to move up into the single digits. I'm honestly not quite sold on the Andrew Markworth doing all the music design idea...but...I would love it if they could prove me wrong. I want to see Bones back up fighting for the 7-6th place spots like they once used to...bu...I don't quite know that this is the vehicle to get them there. As much as I want them to...I only hope and pray that I'm proven wrong. But who will move down if that's the case, as well? It's so tough to move upwards nowadays, especially once you get into the top 12...

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and the show concept...I just really see a lot of flaws that I hope get fixed. Now, I saw a million of those in 2014 and every single one I saw got fixed and they did jump back into finals...so I hope that that is the case this year in that the flaws I see in June get fixed by mid July so that the corps can move up a place or two or three...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, va9590jm said:

So here are my thoughts....

Performance wise...YES... they are there. Guard, brass, visual, (I'm not a percussion guy by and means)....the are there. Yes, they have a LOT to clean. But it is only June, so that is very much to be expected...

However...the movement before the ballad, and somewhat the closer, too...are very, how do I say it...dull. It's the same one or to ideas re-iterated over and over and over and over again and beaten to death. In terms of momentum, everything stalls. Multiple times. Which is NOT GOOD. I only hope that the design gets fixed ASAP, and that the performance level is maintained and elevated even more. They have a LOT to fix if they want to move up into the single digits. I'm honestly not quite sold on the Andrew Markworth doing all the music design idea...but...I would love it if they could prove me wrong. I want to see Bones back up fighting for the 7-6th place spots like they once used to...bu...I don't quite know that this is the vehicle to get them there. As much as I want them to...I only hope and pray that I'm proven wrong. But who will move down if that's the case, as well? It's so tough to move upwards nowadays, especially once you get into the top 12...

I mostly agree, but I didn't get tired of the music until the last movement. I'm really impressed with their performance level. They look and sound like a big boy corps (more so than some other pre-season vids of teams that finished ahead of xmen last year). Is it perfect? Obviously not, they don't act/emote as well as the top corps. Particularly that moment in the ballad where the horns are coming through the props as if they're free or enlightened. I saw one maybe two members who's acting made it to the camera. However, I was skeptical of the Radiohead arrangement, but I it like more than I anticipated.

Also, they need to move much better. It's not terrible and their marching technique is miles ahead of a few years ago, but the lack of upper body control and loss of technique at fast tempos still looks like lower top 12.  

I think this show can be the next step with some tweaks and getting over that bottom top 12 performance plateau. 

• Like 1

Wondering if this closer drill is just temporary cause they rushed to get it done. I imagine those props spinning wildly at the end (people hanging off the them... etc), not just static like they are now at the end. I want to see an insane ending. Hopefully they have more up their sleeves. Or sleeve, cause there's one missing : )

• Like 2

Just finished watching a video on a website that has videos. Wow! I haven't seen a lot of shows yet, so my sample size is obviously small, but this is definitely my favorite show of the season so far. Absolutely love it, hope the Crossmen do well!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, va9590jm said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and the show concept...I just really see a lot of flaws that I hope get fixed. Now, I saw a million of those in 2014 and every single one I saw got fixed and they did jump back into finals...so I hope that that is the case this year in that the flaws I see in June get fixed by mid July so that the corps can move up a place or two or three...

I think we can safely say, no matter which corps we are talking about, that there will be changes/improvements between now and August.  The Crossmen are no exception.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

No wonder I felt like shouting "Freebird!" at my computer screen right before the big hit.

There is a lot of the Emerson Piano Concerto (several movements) throughout this show. Odd that it is not listed in their rep.

• Like 1