Why Do You Like Drum Corps?

Me personally I follow DCI mostly for the music. I rarely go back to a show and watch it after the season is over, I just listen to it instead.

There was a time I'd agree with you, but nowadays, the music for many corps is incomplete and is lost without the visual.

• Like 1

There was a time I'd agree with you, but nowadays, the music for many corps is incomplete and is lost without the visual.

yes, but when you are supposed to be studying, those earbuds under the dew is about all one can do without getting the librarians, rents, and non-drumcorps/bando roommates upset...

Man... the OP question is not easy to answer in a sentence or two.

I'll try. Bottom line, I like the overall unique experience... for marching members and fans... that drum corps has been, and still is... regardless of any of the changes that have been made over the years.

Gotta be honest, though... if drum corps went away tomorrow, I'd be OK. There are a lot of other things to do, places to see, etc.

Same here. I listen to some of the classic jazz pieces, music only, and they still register some excitement (though the recording quality varies.) But it's hard to find separate segments in todays' shows that stand on their own. That isn't a complaint, or a whining of past vs. present. Just an observation. As noted before, it's the whole package I like, and the visual is essential.

For me, it is just like the survey says - the music/brass/percussion. (Notice they did not mention electronics - yes, exactly like the survey says.)

I do watch and appreciate the visual show when it is in front of me, but the music is the reason I am here. I have videos at home that I never watch, as I would rather focus totally on the audio.

• Like 1

For myself as a marcher...I liked drum corps because...
110 degree weather
pain
dehydration
bus fumes
throwing up from drinking too much water
others can fear you or love you in a span of one week or less
trying your best was never enough

Words in purple made me laugh while simultaneously tugging at my heart. I never marched but this is what I observe when I watch kids out there giving everything they have and somehow finding more. And I think that's exactly what I love most about drum corps.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1