Why Do You Like Drum Corps?

Man... the OP question is not easy to answer in a sentence or two.

I'll try. Bottom line, I like the overall unique experience... for marching members and fans... that drum corps has been, and still is... regardless of any of the changes that have been made over the years.

Gotta be honest, though... if drum corps went away tomorrow, I'd be OK. There are a lot of other things to do, places to see, etc.

I agree. Life goes on.

For me, it's the whole package. Sometimes, music clearly wins out. Other times, music is okay, but the drill or overall design fascinates.

Less often, there's a presence - maybe attitude is the right word - on top of music and drill and overall design that is thrilling and that makes me understand why I like drum corps. The 2016 Cavaliers had this presence (again, for me). Maybe, too, Carolina Crown.

Since you mentioned the cavaliers....visually they were more of my focus in the early 2000's...more so than the music....which is surprising even to me as I usually lean toward the music sides of things...specifically the brass performance...I sometimes get more out of the off-field warm-ups of the brass-line versus the show itself...PR, CC, and Cadets come to mind here...

After 50 years of non-stop drum corps, I don't know what it would be like to not have drum corps in the summer.

Not a good answer but the only one I have. It's part of my life, like waking up in the morning.

One poster had mentioned that they'd have plenty of other things to do...I can't imagine not having it either...I enjoy drum corps more than Halloween and Christmas combined...lol

• Like 1

Best answer I can give: there's nothing like good drum corps. Live especially, but even on video. When it hits that sweet spot of great music, great visual, great show design and great execution.....I can't even put it into words. Very few art styles have been able to capture the same feel for me. 15 years ago, I'd have just said because it's great marching band, but I'm an old guy, not playing music anymore, not involved in marching band in any way, and I still love drum corps and still love those great moments.

Edit:

Also I love peanut butter & jelly.

I can't wait to feel those "goosebump' moments...It's one of the biggest reasons I attend live events every year...

Me personally I follow DCI mostly for the music. I rarely go back to a show and watch it after the season is over, I just listen to it instead.

I do a little of both....but since the destruction of the fan network...I tend to just listen in my car more than anything else...

My favorite line BITD..."I'm paying to do this! What is wrong with me?" LOL. Worth every penny in retrospect.

When I marched championship week with 6 stitches on the bottom of my heel...this sentiment came to the forefront of my mind...haha

• Like 1