Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

Well, this pre-season I've seen BK 3 times, now.  Show and tell in their last camp, potluck picnic presentation and the run through last night.  Each time I've seen a bit more of their show than the last time.  After last night, I finally understand what their show is about.  I am impressed.  I guess I'd have to say the theme is both more understandable than the last two years and more artistic than the last...well, since I started seeing them live in 2012.  The only important pieces I haven't a clue of yet are props and uniforms/costumes.  Knowing BK, those will help make the show.

ATTENTION henry7184 !!  9:30  I saw 3 movements on the field and their closer music in an arc.  A staff member told me they will have the complete show on the field by Friday.  

That closer...Hide And Seek...is classic Blue Knights...at least, classic in respect to the last 5 years.  I haven't seen the finale drill yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an unwinding box or two and a big EYE in the middle of the field.

I get to see them one more time before DATR...at the Send-Off Show Sunday.  That'll be with uniforms.  I can't wait!

Edited by Mycroft

Their Pueblo facility is a new HS way east of town, out toward farm country. Looks like a nice campus; the athletic field and stands are on the large side, with a wide running track separating the field from the stands -- the kind of place that would be among the larger show venues on tour, outside of the regional stadiums. The kids are taking the measure of the place and learning how to reach all the way to the box with their sound. Beautifully warm, calm and largely bug-free evening on Monday under the lights.

For their final run of the day, they marched for 9 minutes, then parked for the closer. Seems like they're right on schedule: get the drill under their feet during the first 3 weeks of ST, then use the final week to solidify it. Performance quality on all the music, and on the drill/movement, was high. Conceptually, you never know w/ BK, but the program felt more cohesive than last year. Musical and visual ideas moved along a progression, whereas last year they seemed to be more scattered and disconnected. The percussion concerto will be a showstopper, lots of great movement and highly technical brass work behind the battery, which gets lots of front/center stage time. This corps looks and sounds like BK, in all the best ways. Can't say whether the closer will be as cohesive to the 9 minutes that precede it, but based on the power and clarity I heard -- and if the tempos in the feet are any indication --  it's going to be a signature BK frenzy to finish the show.

Great vibe out on the field all night long. Kids were loose yet focused, processing reams of information coming at them and getting better with each rep. If nothing else, the evening was a gratifying reminder of the way drum corps, like no other activity I've ever been associated with, shows young people how rewarding and fun hard work and devotion to excellence can be.

• Like 6

One more comment on what I saw last night:  There is SOOO much going on...it will take multiple viewings to really see it all.  But the theme, while much more involve than, say, the simple story behind Avian, is well-presented by the drill and guard work.  Everyone...and I do mean everyone...in the corps is involved.

The first time you see them...when you see the Drum Majors...you'll know what I mean.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys on BK. I haven't seen them yet, but what I've heard musically is amazing. I won't say much about the unis, but I'm very excited!

I'm so happy off the bat the posters on here are far more impressed/excited for this years show! I love BK and it was such a shame to see them hated on for what seemed the entirety of the season. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2017 at 0:36 PM, wesleyrp said:

Not as of today- They've had beauty and now they'll get - The Beast.... Pueblo is a big departure from the picturesque mountain rehearsals:) Its great for tour life, rehearse in different areas with different elevations and weather/climate.

WP

Hot and dry Pueblo ( and from the description Pueblo East High School)

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I'm so happy off the bat the posters on here are far more impressed/excited for this years show! I love BK and it was such a shame to see them hated on for what seemed the entirety of the season. 

I guess I am the rare bird.  I loved 2016- late ending an all.

• Like 4

Just now, Forevergreen said:

I guess I am the rare bird.  I loved 2016- late ending an all.

As did I. My best bud is a member too, so it was extra special to me watching them live and all summer.

• Like 1