Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

Bump- incredible performance at Stanford!!! Great show and music.... Bocook out did himself with fantastic arrangements!!! Great start keep it up BK

i Go On

Wes P

• Like 2

Does anybody know where the corps is staying Wednesday June 28? I can't find anything on their website. I saw the show Friday night at Clovis and it was hands down my favorite show of the night, something I have never really said about the Blue Knights. The hornline sounds great, especially the middle voices. The show itself is visually and musically stunning. Far more interesting than the over-amped noise coming from the other blue team. What can I say, I'm a new BK fan! I want to catch them once more before they leave California. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davland said:

Does anybody know where the corps is staying Wednesday June 28? I can't find anything on their website. I saw the show Friday night at Clovis and it was hands down my favorite show of the night, something I have never really said about the Blue Knights. The hornline sounds great, especially the middle voices. The show itself is visually and musically stunning. Far more interesting than the over-amped noise coming from the other blue team. What can I say, I'm a new BK fan! I want to catch them once more before they leave California. 

According to their FB page, they were at Ventura College yesterday.  There isn't anything posted this morning, but it's likely they are still there to prepare for tonight's show.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BlueKnightsDrumCorps/posts/?ref=page_internal

BK is rehearsing at the following places today:

Isbell Middle School and Santa Paula HS

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 9:09 PM, Mycroft said:

BK performs in Hillsboro OR tomorrow.  It's been five days since their last show.  That's LOTS of straight rehearsal time.  I'm looking forward to a big jump in their scores.

Oooooh, sorry

Unless if you think three points is good enough?

Oh man, their music this year is ground-breaking and is material worthy of reaching new heights, it's really unfortunate for me how dramatically their guard is bringing them back scorewise (I'm not saying that as a discredit towards the guard section themselves, they're all incredibly talented. I'm more referring to the choreography and equipment). Hope they figure out this whole equipment thing and clean it, or scrap it and replace it for something more judge friendly. I love this show too much to want it to take a hit at finals week as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, friendwhale said:

Oooooh, sorry

Unless if you think three points is good enough?

Oh man, their music this year is ground-breaking and is material worthy of reaching new heights, it's really unfortunate for me how dramatically their guard is bringing them back scorewise (I'm not saying that as a discredit towards the guard section themselves, they're all incredibly talented. I'm more referring to the choreography and equipment). Hope they figure out this whole equipment thing and clean it, or scrap it and replace it for something more judge friendly. I love this show too much to want it to take a hit at finals week as well

Oh, I would have liked a bigger jump, but I'm happy with this one.

Looking at the recap, I'm not so sure the color guard was "bringing them back" with this set of judges.  They seemed pretty even across the board.  Their lowest score was in GE2.  Also, keep in mind that the horn and drum lines are almost color guards themselves with their choreography...even though those two lines are not trained for it like the guard members are.

But you can be certain that BK will be cleaning, tweaking, adding and subtracting throughout the rest of the season.  I'll be seeing them live next Saturday at Mile High and my experience is that what I see in Denver is NEVER what they put on the field in Indy.

Bump....Needed to give some love to the Blue Knights...tired of just hearing/seeing things about the other "Blues".

From the scores over the last few shows it appears the members are working hard and the show is rolling along and getting better each step of the way! It is a beautiful show, with beautiful music! Go Knights!!!

• Like 1

I'll wait until Denver for a full review, but based on what I've heard (from the usual places) so far, the 2017 edition of BK, musically at least, is more coherent than the past several years. The whole "i" theme doesn't really matter because musically, it's simply an engaging selection of charts, typically well arranged and performed. Someone else said a few days ago that the only theme BK17 is trying to communicate is awesomeness. I agree. "i" is such a nebulous idea that just about anything fits inside it, and what shows through is, ironically enough, something pretty old-school: 4 great tunes, performed well, sans narration (for now, at least). To my untrained ear, the sound of the show seems to have more of a beginning, middle and end than in 2015 and '16. There is a bunch more melody -- something for the ear to grab on to -- than last year, for sure, and some nice storytelling technique, such as the sprinkling of fivelets, which punctuate the end of the first battery feature, into different moments of the show, including the final phrase. The arrangements are powerhouse; this show could become a musical beast by season's end. You never know what BK might throw at you, so things could still get weird, but like BD last year when they finally threw us a lifeline and gave us a show to love, BK has given us melody and cohesion in 2017.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2