Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

On 4/17/2017 at 0:28 AM, DrumManTx said:

Finally saw Broken City Percussion's WGI show.....or at least heard the music for it.  

Blue Knights have one of the freshest voices in the activity in Mike Jackson, God I could listen to his writing and creations all day.  So tasteful, ethereal, and restrained in a beautiful way.  I wasn't a huge fan of the show last  year but the percussion writing, especially in the snares, was top notch.  

DrumManTx... do you know if many of Broken City's Percussion line march in the summer with BK ? Snares for example ? I have no clue, and was just curious. Thanks.

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

From what I've heard both musically and thematically is it's very different from the last three? Have I been misinformed?

I can't speak about thematically because I don't know the theme of the show.  

Musically...I'm not a musician, but this is the way I see it:  The music in their last three shows have been a combination of music including well-known composers, well-known singer-songwriters...but all pretty modern stuff...as opposed to classical stuff.  This year's music is much the same.  I will say that it seemed a bit "dark" to me.

Mark did speak about them continuing and building on the style that BK has developed over the last few years.  The "steroids" part is my take based on the guard bits I saw.

35 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DrumManTx... do you know if many of Broken City's Percussion line march in the summer with BK ? Snares for example ? I have no clue, and was just curious. Thanks.

Only one bass as far as I know.  Snare line I am not sure about.  Broke, RCC, and Pulse all have a group of members that have been on lines together and know each other.  So. Cal has a big talent pool and a few member from No. Cal (the members I know)  One bass was with them last year but has now made BDA which is one of the two I know from Pleasanton.  He did all three BD corps and the other guy who is staying with BK did BDB first on Euph then on Bass.

3 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Only one bass as far as I know.  Snare line I am not sure about.  Broke, RCC, and Pulse all have a group of members that have been on lines together and know each other.  So. Cal has a big talent pool and a few member from No. Cal (the members I know)  One bass was with them last year but has now made BDA which is one of the two I know from Pleasanton.  He did all three BD corps and the other guy who is staying with BK did BDB first on Euph then on Bass.

Thanks. I can see some of the snares from RCC that are in BD, and Pulse with BK ( last few seasons anyway). I see some WGI percussionists in Bluecoats Percussion line too. Others. Was just curious about Broken City.

Edited by BRASSO

most of these battery guys I do not know personally but know of them through the scene here.

I really love how the members all know each other and doe go here and some go there.  I think this is great overall for the activity.

I don't want to come off as an "insider" or anything but I do get to meet some of these people here and there and my excitement for everything DC/ WGI.

Last thing I want to do is say something stupid and embarrass my son or staff. I really love what is going on now days and like the changes that are happening.  They love what they do and deserve encouragement.

I am very grateful to get to meet a lot of members and know some of them.  It really has changed how I view everything and I enjoy shows so much more now.

Thank you to everyone I have met.

• Like 1

Broken City snare line in corps / band jackets.  Warning: They swapped jackets with each other. Hence the funny shot with their face reveal. 

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I see some WGI percussionists in Bluecoats Percussion line too.

Not to hijack, but  ... 2017 Bloo Bangers 2017 indoor associations. (I think I got this right)

Snares

1 - Broken City
2 - RX
1 - RCC
2 - Minnesota Brass Indoor
1 - Breakthrough Indoor
1 - POW
1 - didn't march winter

Bass
1 - marched Yokahama Scouts in Japan during winter
1 - RX
1 - Monarch
1 - Pulse
1 - Infinity

Tenors
1 - Broken City
1 - OCI (Oregon Crusaders Indoor)
1 - RX
2 - no indoor this year?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I can't speak about thematically because I don't know the theme of the show.  

Musically...I'm not a musician, but this is the way I see it:  The music in their last three shows have been a combination of music including well-known composers, well-known singer-songwriters...but all pretty modern stuff...as opposed to classical stuff.  This year's music is much the same.  I will say that it seemed a bit "dark" to me.

Mark did speak about them continuing and building on the style that BK has developed over the last few years.  The "steroids" part is my take based on the guard bits I saw.

Oh you weren't referring to the style of the music, moreso the sources...

13 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Oh you weren't referring to the style of the music, moreso the sources...

Correct...at least as far as the music selection goes, though I don't think anybody will be surprised or amazed at the selections.  (the percussion piece will be an exception to the "drumheads")  I'm guessing they fit whatever the show's theme is.

To me, getting all worked up over the music selections without considering what the show is all about is useless.  

For example, without knowing the story behind Avian, knowing that BK was going to do Firebird Suite would get a..."Oh, cool.  I like that music." reaction from me.  But add the music selection to the story and the theme of the show and THEN it really means something that they are doing Firebird Suite.

One thing I can't talk about is how well BK is playing the stuff.  I just don't have the knowledge.  But one staff member told me this bunch is MUCH better than past years.

45 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

One thing I can't talk about is how well BK is playing the stuff.  I just don't have the knowledge.  But one staff member told me this bunch is MUCH better than past years.

This is something I CAN speak on. What I heard from January was incredibly far ahead of the norm performance wise. Also it seemed like a much more layered and full sound than years past. Loved how it was turning out. 

• Like 2